Tyre Data for the members

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by bluekontakt2004, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Brym

Brym Active Member

BT015's oe fit (190/50 rear) from new ok used through winter can't remember any bad moments, but did not last only 1800 miles on rear.

Dunlop Sportsmart 190/55 on back lasted well with 4800 miles on wear markers couple of trackdays and general ride out bit of weekend touring and commuting. Impressed only down side was they had a bit of a stiff feel to them but that's personal. Ok in the wet but did spin it up a few times in a straight line but I put this down to them being worn and squared off. The front also wore with a noticeable step where the compounds changed, softer edge wore out and left the harder middle raised up a bit. It was not really bad I still rode it but you could feel it if you ran your hand over it. I just put this down to a trait of dual compound tyre wear.

Dunlop Sportsmart² 190/55 on back again only just put these on but I really like them, not as stiff as the original which I like and gives me a lot more confidence in the feel. Have not noticed any difference with the marketing about faster turn in speed but they turn in pretty quick with the 55 on the back anyway. Will update with mileage but should be 5000 ish miles going by the last set.

2. Scott

Scott Active Member

Rosso corsa when I was on the road. At least 2500. Great price from fwr tyres also.
    Had 2ct and were the worst iv rode on
    Track ,, dunlops are amazing that the first time it feels like ur taking the mik.
    Supercorsa s felt more stable in a corner for me than race techs. But it was prob mental cause iv been just a quick on raceys. Just tried the continental race attack. They felt good but my settings were far too hard for me so it wasn't a fully fair test. Although I can say if u want a cheaper track tyre with the close performance of the rest. Some will be mental because of what people say about them. I'd say go for them try them

3. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Bike came with a new set of BT16Pros, back was illegal at 1600 miles of commuting, as soon as temp dropped would spin up a straight line, good warm performance but I am not buying 10 sets a year!

PR3's...Just under 10K, brilliant tyre in all conditions, side grip is available from cold, not fazed by standing water, low temps etc. When the surface is hot, you get them on the edge and they grip way after the riding is illegal for the road.

If you only use 1 set of tyres and are a road rider 12 months a year, these are the puppies.

Second set now 7K in, ploughed through floods most days this winter, the only time they have let go is in mud when lent over due to the local lanes that become flood plains.

No reason to change up from these for my riding programme.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. restone

restone Active Member

Dunlop sportsmart 1
    3200 miles, shoulders of front were pretty gone by 2800 and would step a bit if you really chucked it in, but not badly
    mostly mountain twisties at brisk but not bonkers pace, 3 track days and a small amount of motorwayse with very little squaring
    Grip was very good in dry but also adequate in damp, wet and cold at reasonably quick road speeds.
    All in all a great tyre and would have tried the sportmax 2 but out of stock so....;)
    Have gone for some mich pilot power 3's

5. rickross

rickross New Member

Maxxis Supermaxx Sport
    Cbr 600 rr
    Front 18.000 motorway miles
    Rear 6.000 miles

Daytona 955 hard riding
    Front 4000
    Rear 3000

Cbr 1000 rr
    Maxxis Diamond
    6000 and there is life for another 2000miles.

Bt15 Bridgestone
    Cbr 1000 rr
    4000 miles

6. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Diablo Rosso Corsa,
    Just changed a back 4000 mile........ 60/40 Motorway, Twistys. 42psi Has been very good for grip in dry, Wet is perfectly acceptable. It had a few more mile in it, perhaps a1000 ( centre was beginning to run out).........but I got a puncture so did the right thing.
    I use the bike mainly in the dry for runs and Sunday blasts, Won't be changing to anything else soon. Very pleased.
    Be careful if getting tyres from Tyreleader some very cheap ones are old stock. They may be fine but be aware.

7. julestys

julestys Active Member

Bridgestone S20

These were fitted to the bike from new.
    Originals were quite poor in terms of how long they lasted, although now they have changed the compound, the S20 Evo's last just fine.
    They are really grippy in nearly all conditions and having just done a California Superbike School Day at Silverstone in the soaking wet, I can assure you they grip really well in the wet too.

Not tried any others as happy with what I have.
    Loads of miles is not really a thing I look at when purchasing tyres, I tend to go for grip.

Thanks
    Jules

8. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Bridgestone S20 came on as standard very good went through in 1900 road miles so put on S20 evo and they are lasting much better I reckon 2500 to 3k out of them run at 34/ 40 good side grip in all conditions so will probably put on again. I did have Diablo corsa on my Ducati and didn't get on with those.

9. old git

old git Active Member

Bought mine with partially worn S20's. Replaced with S20 evo's and were down to wear markers at 1600 miles. I don't think I ride particularly hard but the roads I ride in Scotland are particularly hard on tyres. Get appallingly bad tyre life on my FJR also.
    Not long fitted Bridgestone T30's to the Fireblade, seem grippy enough but time will tell how long they last.

10. Dutch Fireblade

Dutch Fireblade Active Member

BT 016 pro's.
    Good grip and short warm up. Like them very much.
    Done 4000 and the rear is almost on the marker. Front is still 50 %.
    Run with 35 rear and 32 front.
    Most of my trips are on the twisties with high corner speed but not too hard on the brakes.
    New rear tyre will be the S20 evo because I hear lots of good things about them

11. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

S21 look good so have ordered a set of those to go on next....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

Feb 28th 16, 1900 miles , fitted front and back Metzeler Z8 Interact on the Blade

13. l00k3y

l00k3y New Member

Had a fair few tyres over the last 5 or 6 years, here's the ones I can remember:

Pilot Power 2CTS - lasted okay, average>good mileage. Hated the carcass of the tyre though, gave me no confidence and not a huge amount of feedback.

Conti Road-attack - Super cheap and cheerful. Bought them when I was tight and commuting 60 miles a day. Lasted well and surprisingly decent levels of grip in the dry and wet, although I doubt if you started pushing them on a litre bike they would start to break out on fast riding. I would recommend these if you're tight on money and commute.

Supercorsa SP's - as you'd expect, fantastic dry grip, dreadful in wet. I managed less than 2,000 miles on a set of these on the R1. No way could you honestly say you need more grip than these provide.

Dunlop D211GP's - Super wicked on track. Great feel. Don't buy these if you have any interest in longevity (same as Supercorsas).

Michelin Pilot Power Pure - Had a couple of sets of these. Pretty decent, good balance between grip and mileage, leaning towards grip than life. I doubt you need any more grip than these give on the roads or for the odd trackday. Although...I prefer...

Michelin Pilot Road 2 - My favourite tyre. I've not tried a set of PR3's yet (I really should), but this has everything I need from a set of tyres for riding on the road. Plenty enough grip and well north of 5-6k miles out of a set of tyres. They tend to wear nice and don't square off unless you hit motorways.

14. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Bridgestone R10 as fitted standard on my H2. Hope you don't mind me adding to this secion

120/70 R17 front 200/55/17 rear
    Was set to 36 front and 42 PSI rear

I have set them to 36F 38R
    Normally a track and fast road tyre so not a huge amount of tread and I was thinking not great in the rain

My view.
    On my bike the rear may last 1k maybe a little more. So far only done 570 miles on the bike but the feedback from others are 1k on the rear and they are normally shot.
    I'll report back when they need changing

I have used them from the end of March in below 10 degree weather and also April where it was warmer. They give good feedback in the dry and are very sticky and warn up quick

I have also used them in the wet and Without using rain mode found them to be more stable in the wet than I was thinking. No issues so far

I'm impressed with them so far

• Like Like x 1
  15. callumw

callumw Active Member

All my riding is social and short commute. TomTom is permanently set to avoid motorways ;)
    I tend not to ride hard. Aim at the smooth is quick approach :)

Bridgestone Battlax BT-16 - stock sizes
    Typical pressures: F 33 R 36
    Typical mileage: F 8k R 5.5-6k
    Was an ok tyre. Took a while to warm up, but was an ok all rounder for old tech.
    No longer purchased.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II - Stock sizes
    Front: Rosso Corsa
    Rear: Rosso II
    Typical pressures road: F 32 R 36
    Typical pressures track: F 30 R 30 (cold)
    Typical mileage: F 6k R 4k ... just
    Great tyre combination. Having the sticky front and slightly harder rear gives great front end confidence and last between service intervals ;)

I'm currently on my second set. The last year's set went from April through summer including 2 OMCC track days before I swapped them out in time for winter. This year's ones look like they'll last the same distance.

On track when pushing hard they gave great feedback. The back moved around a bit on overbanding and paint/lines (on an airfield day), but they never felt loose. The front was 100% planted. Great tyres.

I heard bad things about them in the wet, but I've not had any moments to cause concern.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 - stock sizes
    Typical pressures: F 32 R 40
    Typical mileage: F n/a R n/a
    I'm an all year biker, so I bought the PR4's last Autumn to get me through 3+ winters.
    First impressions are that the front is super skinny and a hard carcass. It's a 120 section, but looks so narrow and makes the bike tip in really quickly ... then push wide accelerating through the corner. Feels really weird and takes a while to get used to it. Dropping the front pressure helped a bit.

Wet weather is just as advertised. Tonnes of grip and if you have a tail tidy then you'll get a wet bum as they chuck up some serious amounts of water. Pretty impressive.
    Dry weather they're fine. No real moments except some rear slip when stone cold in the cold months. They need a couple of miles to warm up before you can give them some lean.

So far, not much wear on them and no odd wear patterns, so they should see me through at least 3 winters.
    In hindsight, if I was to buy them again, I'd get the PR3 front and PR4 rear. The PR3 front has a softer carcass and not as narrow, so in theory the turn in would feel ... normal

#35 callumw, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. okeloon

okeloon Active Member

did you say 32/36 for the Diablo Rosso on the road? Just checking as I run 36/42 and wondering if I'm being a tit?

17. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Only run 42 on the back when taking a passenger use 36 rest of the time on rear using Pirelli DRC's

18. callumw

callumw Active Member

That's what I set them to usually. Feels right for me.
    As the tyres gets worn and towards the end of their life, then I'll run it at 36/42

19. okeloon

okeloon Active Member

hmm interesting, will give that a try. Cheers

20. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

bike: RR8
    tyre pressure F: 36~35 R: 40 (I don't like any lower and I feel the tyre flexes & moves too much)

BT015 original tyres
    mileage rear: 3700 . change both but the front could have done more miles
    performance was average the tyre felt woody

Pilot power
    mileage rear: 5200 (including 3000 with a puncture repair!)
    performance was very good, uniform wear across the rear with little squaring
    front & rear wore out at very similar rate so changed both
    excellent tyres for me (road use all year) handles cold temperature well and no problems in monsoon rain either.
    grip is well beyond me and my road use. Rear leans all the way to the edge and frankly I don't want to go beyond this on normal roads.
    price is excellent
    replaced with a new set of the same tyre

previous bike Honda vrf800

original Dunlop D207
    very good tyre. I think I got almost 5000 miles out of the rear; replaced with another set of the same tyres

pilot power
    the dunlops were no longer available to I tried these and I was amazed by the sharper steering and higher speed when leaning.
    wear was good but don't knothe figures

Dunlop roadsmart

not very impressed; about 20% less of everything than the Michelin. don't know about the wear as I sold the bike

Pilot power 3
    Fast forward 2 years. I decided to try a different tyre with a more rounded tread profile as I was using the pilot power all the way to the edge for fast riding and hitting bumps, potholes and stones while leaning is becoming a pain!
    I looked into pilot power 3 & M5 interact and settled for the former.
    First impressions after 200 miles:
    the carcass is stiffer the the pilot power making the ride bumpier!
    the leaning is more progressive in fast cornering and I use less of the tyre for the same cornering speed.
    Wonder if the M5 has a softer carcass:confused:
    Update on PP3: the lean is LESS aggressive so the bike does not flip flop as quickly

Fast forward 1000 miles on PP3's:
    although the rear ride is firmer the suspension works much better and damping is well controlled and the bike is less bouncy.
    It was finally time to change the front so I put a matching PP3. The sharpness and handling of the bike is tottally transformed; matching the PP with more lean angle to spare. The steering has also become as quick.
    I am extremely pleasantly surprised by the improvement:DI

#40 bonjo, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020