Tyre Life,

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dessp2, Jan 4, 2018.

1. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

I know most on here go through sets of tyres like milk in the fridge, but I need overall advice. Due to family commitments and working abroad etc my tyres have been on for ages. Is it a matter of if you think they need replacing replace them? Months, years? Any advice welcome. Oh and for good road riding what are the best ones to replace them with these days?

2. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Happy New Year, and hope you get out on your bike a bit more this year !

I had a pair of Bridgestone T30 Evo that had done a large mileage - mostly upright riding across Europe, travelling to the races during the summer.

Although these tyres still had a usable amount of tread left, they were so squared off that they were quite shocking to look at. They were now pretty much useless fro going round corners, so off they came.

As for tyre age. Well tyres can develop a flat spot if the bike is stored for long periods without it being moved, and if the tyres are not inflated hard before the bike is stored. This has happened to me with a push-bike and our local Target tyre garage advised that it is the same for car tyres, if cars are stored for long periods with under inflated tyres.

So for me, the issue of squared off tyres is the main reason to get rid of tyres that still have tread life in them,.

Current Tyres
    At the TT I spoke to the Dunlop dude - and whether to put the sportier tyres on my CBR for road use, and he advised that I would be better off with the Roadsmart III tyres. So that is what I have gone with for the current bike. I think the Ron Haslam Race School uses them on their fleet of bikes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Ive always gone with if you have any doubts, change them. Having confidence in your tyres is huge.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

A quote from Michelin

After 5 years of use or more, tyres should be examined every year by a professional mechanic. If the tyres need to be changed, follow the manufacturer's recommendations with regard to replacing original components. As a precaution, all tyres that have not been replaced after ten years should be changed, even if they appear to be in a generally good condition and have not reached their tread wear limit.

Currently using Michelin Power RS, excellent grip dry or wet, extremely quick turn in and change of direction, very stable under hard braking.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Mattie when they're ready for replacing can you let me know your thoughts on the roadsmart111 & what you end up getting out of them pls. I had the old roadsmarts on once & they were still better than my capabilities & good for all year riding too. Was thinking of try the new ones as I gather you can gets lots of mileage out of them...so be interesting to hear at what point they square off etc

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I use the Metzler m7rr's....lovely tyre. Also sportsmart2's which I get more mileage out of but prefer & can't fault the metzler's. If I could time my tyre change right I'd have metz in summer & roadsmart in winter but saying that I ride on the metz thru winter & as long as you're steady they're fine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

I change my tires if they are worn to the limit / have developed flatspots in the middle / are damaged due to puncture etc or don't feel confident in them anymore.

3 years on road tires are my limit. The last few years i go through 2 sets a year on my road bike.

8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

OK, will do.

They tip-in really nicely, and hold a line really well. That was the first thing I noticed about them over the OE Dunlops that came on the current bike.

I also had the previous version of Roadsmarts - I put them on my old Triumph Tiger, and they came as standard on my VFR (wore them out). So looking forward to doing some more miles on these new ones !

edit:typo