Tyres again

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by stujacks, May 26, 2014.

1. stujacks

stujacks Active Member

Hi All
    Well I've narrowed my choice of tyres down to Dunlop roadsmart/Bridgestone bt023 or Bridgestone 016pro
    Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Stu

2. Givover

Givover God Like

Roadsmart? Should that not be Sports smart?

3. stujacks

stujacks Active Member

Hi Givover
    These are better than the other 2 then
    What would the wear be like on these tyres and have they had good reviews for grip etc.
    I liked the reviews on the Michelin pr4s but don't like the look of them,had pilot power 2ct on my 600 but wasn't overly impressed with them.got to make my mind up soon as need some for Oliver mount Scarborough in July and my mine are well and truly worn out.
    Thanks Stu

4. Givover

Givover God Like

Never had them but the guys on here lap up the Sports smart 1s so I don't think you would have any issues at all "except cost " of the Sports smart 2s .
    I am on PR4s and they are awesome .;)

5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

BT016Pro would be my choice from that list.

6. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

I've had BT016 Pro but they don't last that well. I use Michelin Pilot Power 3 Now - can't fault 'em.

7. marco s

marco s Active Member

I had the BT016 pro I liked them a lot but as Ian E said they wear like a mo fo

#7 marco s, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  8. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Bollox to the asthetics of a tyre, get the PR4's fitted! :cool:

9. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I had made my mind up to go for the Dunlop Sportsmart 2's but although i dont like the look of the PR4's they do appear to get really good reviews and plent of folk on here swear by them,decisions decisions:confused:

10. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

S20.
    Milage is not that good but grip is lovely.

11. Glenn12

Glenn12 New Member

If your going for the dunlop sportsmart 2 i have just bought a pair for £204 delivered off tyre leader but have not got them fitted yet so can't comment on how good they are.

12. Nick_BladeRR

Nick_BladeRR Active Member

PR4's dude you won't be disappointed. BT016's are nice but you'll be lucky to see 2k out of them. Currently have a set on my BM at the moment and when the limiter comes off on Saturday I don't imagine they will last much past 1.5k

Speaking from personal experience here (although I ride all year round) on my 4c8 R1 2 years ago out for a nice summer ride with pirelli Rosso Corsa's on sun was out lovely hot sunny day suddenly heavens opened and the almighty's piss rained free I went from plenty of grip to none at all within moments. The Rosso Corsa's looked nice but I take grip over a nice looking tyre any day. I had PR3's on both my blade's and couldn't fault them plenty of grip in the wet and lots of feedback. Did a RH at Donny a couple of weeks ago on the T30's and the Bridgestone Rep was raving about them in the de-brief until I burst his bubble and said that they provided little or no feedback at best even in the dry and maintained that PR3's and newer 4's are the better tyres. Bridgestone are good but not great IMO....

13. julestys

julestys Active Member

Personally I am an S20 man.
    Mileage is poor although what price do you put on grip???
    Plus the S20 Evos are supposed to be better
    Mate of mine has BT016 on his ZX10 and he says its crap in the wet, he will change for Road Pilot 3's
    I has BT023's on an earlier bike (VFR800) and they were really good, although classed as a sports touring tyre?
    Also Ron Haslam Race school run BT023's so that's a good recommendation for you

14. stujacks

stujacks Active Member

Hi Sinewave
    Are the pilot road 4s really that good as these are a sports touring tyre,but so are the Dunlop and the Bridgestone 023 only the 016 being a sports tyre,are you running these on your blade.
    I tend not to use my bike in the wet unless I'm caught out,so are they really that good in the dry it's just there seems to be a lot of slits in the tyre that I would have thought would cause a lot of movement in the tyre ,but that's just my opinion.I'm being swayed towards them but just need a bit of feedback on them to sway me.
    Anyway thanks for the advice cheers Stu

• Like Like x 1
  15. Givover

Givover God Like

Seem ok to me and I think the movement has been engineered out and very stable at all speeds;):D:p:cool:

16. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

As I've said a 1000 times - should have shares in them by now. Lol

I've run 3's at the ring flat out - never had a move on them or been left wanting for grip. Dave v borrowed my r1 with 4's on and was grinding out the pegs.

Seen lads run well in fast group on them.

4's are even better than 3's for grip IMO and I'd never need anything else for the road, and we ride at a decent pace ;) plus the 5k plus mileage is amazing.

Nuff said really.....

Other tyres out there are awesome. But these do it all IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  17. julestys

julestys Active Member

You've even got me thinking of pr4's now!
    Never go looking for rain altho on my euro trips its always seems to find me
    PR4's warm up ok ??
    Will decide on Assen return.

18. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

It's the tours that converted me - changing mid tour was ridiculous on a week long 3k euro trip. Doing an s20 rear in 4 days in Scotland was the final straw and gave in (also didn't like tread) and gave them a go.

I don't see me changing unless something amazing come along.

Fine. Knee down on open road within a couple of miles no probs, my 4's were easily as warm as navs drc's on a ride out lately and seen 3's steaming after being out in the wet....

#18 Jimbo Vills, May 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I've run Dunlop Qualifiers, Michelin PR3's, Pirelli Rosa Corsa's and now Mich PR4's on my Blade.

The Qualifiers were OEM and a feckin liability, so much so I fecked em off at 450 miles for the PR3's which were great wet or dry but were slightly harsh at the rear if being picky.

Then I decided I wanted to do some Track Days so fitted the Performance Bikes Magazine Top Tyre of 2013, the Rosa Corsa's.

These gave brilliant grip in the dry, a good step up on the PR3's but wet grip was mediocre but manageable.
    I then bought a Track Bike so the Blade would never again see a track so decided better wet grip and mileage made more sense than the Pirellis which at best would give 2K mileage.

The PR4's are ultimately not as grippy as the Pirelli's but you'd need to be running good pace in the fast group to make this count IMHO over the PR4's
    The PR4's will last 5-6K depending on how much of a loon ya are!

If I had to mark the PR4's down in any way over an out and out Sports Tyre then it would have to be the very slight movement (squirming) at the front end on 'Death' Braking (Stoppies) over say the Pirellis and this is only a 'feeling' as it still stops brilliantly without lock up or ABS activation and is purely down the the tread pattern being designed more for water removal and will dissapear totally once worn down a bit, mine are still less than 600 miles old.

This I stress is being VERY VERY Picky and is fek all really.

That do ya?

#19 sinewave, May 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  20. stujacks

stujacks Active Member

Cheers Guys
    Think you've pointed me in the right direction.
    Brilliant write up Sinewave think that swung it ,better get some ordered ,top man.
    Cheers Stu
    Ps 50 or 55 profile if I fit a 55 will it foul the rear hugger or not.

#20 stujacks, May 27, 2014