Tyres again

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by stujacks, May 26, 2014.

1. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Well that's decided,it was gonna be the sportsmarts but gonna go with Colin's review of the M7.
    I'll squeeze another couple hundred miles out of the qualifier 2s that came with the bike first tho,tight wad that I am lol

2. chicken0365

chicken0365 Active Member

Colin's review hss sold them to me, it was going to be a toss up between the PR4 and the M7 RR. Everthing I have read about the Metzeler tells me its a cracking tyre for everyday road use and Colin has confirmed how exceptional it is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Be interested to see what others think too when they are fitted.
    Ive only done approx (DRY) 60 miles on my new PR4s and so far I think they are flipping awesome.
    Thanks to everyone who recommended them. Is it wrong to wish for rain to see what they are like in the rain lol

4. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Yes,don't even go there:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm wanting a tyre to be sporty to transform the feel, handling also have long life (coz I ain't that flush) mostly in the dry but be amazing in the wet if I do get caught out! :D
    I have a wee Honda CB1 for commuting in winter and shitty weather that's probably why I've never been that interested in PR4's! I don't like riding the Blade in the rain unless I have to! ;)
    So for my needs I went with Sportsmarts but so far the Metz M7rr's are definitely my next sets of hoops to go on the Blade :cool:

I've not tried Sportsmart2 so if the M7's mileage doesn't live up to what's promised then the Dunlops it'll have to be! ;)

#65 HRCTrev09, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  6. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Well i'm gonna let these photos do the talking now as i bought them new almost 1000 miles ago and got caught out in some torrential rain, they were great despite riding through huge puddles. But today i took them through their first proper paces on a baking hot track day and there's still room for more corner speed.

Rear
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Fek me Muff!

40mm Chicken Strips?? :eek:

The SHAME of it! ;)

8. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I'm really struggling on track, for some reason i keep talking myself out of tipping the bike right over, although in this case i kept hearing the words in my head, "ffs don't drop it, you've got to ride home on this!" :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Trust your instincts matey!
    better to ride home with Chicken strips than bits in a trailer, as long as you had fun thats what counts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Most of riding fast is in the head. I have the same monkey sat on my shoulder holding me back, and I only move forwards when I manage to tell myself that if other people can do it then so can I. Trouble is after my off last friday the monkey's mates turned up as well ;) Still managed to do a lap as fast as the trackday before last though, just didn't feel so nice doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. julestys

julestys Active Member

New S20 Evos for me, have much more wear than the previous S20's.
    Well grippy too!
    Mate swears by RP4's and Ron Haslam has the BT023's fitted to his school bikes.
    any of the above should do you well

12. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi Julestys I had s20 on and have just ordered a set of evo are they that much better? Got 2k out of 1st set really pleased with grip are the new ones even better, cheers.

13. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Pirelli rosso 2s best tyre I have used, have them on my Tuono V4 and the Blade good miles/good wear/good on track/good in the wet.

14. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Yeah I will give the thumbs up to the humble Rosso 2, tyres are good, but I will try the new Metzeler M7 next, just because I have seen so many good reviews of them :)

15. Si.

Si. God Like

have m7rr on mine now, did 200+ plus miles in pouring rain last Sat and some at a swift pace....never budged an inch.

Superb in the dry too, and get red hot.

• Like Like x 3
  16. exfire

exfire Elite Member

A big thank you to those forum members who recommended PR4's.

Last week I had a pair of 55 profile PR4's fitted. Even though I had 55 profile tyres before I was surprised how easy these are to lean over, they seem to 'roll' , hopefully not too far though ;)

I am not a very good wet road rider but I was amazed how good these were today in torrential rain with loads of surface water. They upped my wet riding by a big margin and after 40 miles I had every confidence in them.

• Like Like x 3
  17. sinewave

sinewave God Like

They're also Dave V's Track Day Tyre of choice! ;)

• Like Like x 1