UK MOT Question

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Lucky13, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

So I have a 2008 Blade with an R&G tail tidy, when I bought the bike there was a small circular reflector on the number plate about the size of a 20p...do I need this for the MOT ?

Also the guy before added tiny indicators at the back but these are hidden slightly ( by about 1cm ) by the number plate..will this be a failure ?

Thanks any advise would be great

2. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Yes you must have a rear reflector,
    I think the indicators will be down to how the tester feels.
    I don't think you have to have indicators but if they are fitted they must work properly

Been a long while since I did MOT's bit I think that's right
    Hopefully someone with more up to date knowledge will confirm

3. blake7

blake7 Active Member

As above, Reflector needed and the rest depends on what mood the tester is in :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

A reflector is required for a mot, also a quote below from the government website regarding directional indicators.

The precise position and angle of visibility of direction indicators are not part of this inspection, but they must be on each side of the longitudinal axis of a solo machine. If a side car is attached, the indicatorsmust be on opposite sides of the combination.

5. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

I don't have the reflector on mine and passed two Mot's at 2 different test centres one guy said because I have the number plate light it's ok 20160508_134931.jpg

6. Greco

Greco Active Member

I didnt know that reflectors were mandatory! So far nobody said anything to me and my bike passed its mot with no issues. It could be down to the individual in the garage. Hmm..interesting

7. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Another quote from gov.uk website below this time regarding reflectors. It's possible some MOT testers will overlook this or just let it go.

Statutory reflectors Mopeds and motor bicycles require one unobscured red reflector which is aligned to the vehicles longitudinal centre line and is positioned to reflect squarely to the rear. If the motorcycle is fitted with a side car the side car will also require a reflector fitted towards the nearside and positioned to reflect squarely to the rear. Extra reflectorsfitted to a motorcycle are not included in this inspection. Reflecting and Retroreflective tapemust NOT be regarded as a substitute for an obligatory reflector.

8. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

Strange because I've never had one like I said previous because the R&G tail tidy has a number plate light the mot place said it was fine not to put one on, very confusing :confused:

9. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Extract from the MOT UK Rules

so as per Blade runner 1's post the rules say you must have one, if your MOT tester passes your vehicle and it does not have a reflector he could be in trouble with VOSA

However does the rear light reflect ? and serve both purposes

This inspection applies to: all machines except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
    • only used during daylight hours, and
    • not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above.

Statutory reflectors

Mopeds and motor bicycles require one unobscured red reflector which is aligned to the vehicles longitudinal centre line and is positioned to reflect squarely to the rear. If the motorcycle is fitted with a side car the side car will also require a reflector fitted towards the nearside and positioned to reflect squarely to the rear.

Extra reflectors fitted to a motorcycle are not included in this inspection.

Reflecting and Retroreflective tape must NOT be regarded as a substitute for an obligatory reflector.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

As for your indicators.... as long as 50% or over of the light can be seen from the rear then you should be ok! They will probably still advise you regardless...

11. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

Thanks for the info guys I've added a reflector onto the middle of the number plate and installed the original indicators just incase, just one last question I've got a Two Brothers M2 Vale exhaust, even with the baffles in its god damn loud, what do you think the odds are on this passing the MOT ?

I've checked the exhaust for any label that says "Not for road use" but it looks clear not sure if that helps ?

12. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

Just to update the exhaust failed but I knew the MOT tester, so he passed it this time but warned a no go next time ;-)

• Like Like x 1