Urgent Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by morpheus20170, May 17, 2014.

1. morpheus20170

morpheus20170 Active Member

I have been checking my bike that has a burnt stator connector and I took off the right R&G crash bung to remove the fairing, I then put it back on without an issue.
    I then took off the left crash bung but trying to put it back on the bolt feels not good going on so I am now really worried and I don't know what to do especially as this thread has already been cross threaded and both threads were repaired with Timeserts so I don't want to ruin the threads again.
    I have been told that I needed to support the engine before removing the bung but I've never done or heard of this before but I don't know what to do now.
    Please help me.

2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

I presume this bolt is also an engine support bolt? I've also read could be here the part of the thread which protrudes inside the frame can rust hence when you unwind the bolt you hit the rusty part and then nackers your thread.. Supporting the engine could help I guess, put a scissor jack under the headers with the rear on paddock stands and lift the front just to take some of the weight of the engine.. See what others suggest first who may have had the issue.

I don't think I would ever fit crash bungs.. Not frame ones anyway

3. morpheus20170

Thanks mate. Wish I hadn't now but now the fairings have been cut it would like crap without them

4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I take my Bungs out regularly on both my bikes and grease the threads copiously with High Temp grease.

I've never had the need to support the engine at all as there is plenty more support points to keep things located whilst one Bung is removed.

5. morpheus20170

That's what I thought mate. Strange being that I paid for Timeserts to be fitted. I can feel a small lip in the right side that I'm concerned about.