Vinyl Wrap

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by TheMickster, Apr 19, 2018.

1. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

Hi

Has anyone had any success with vinyl wrap?

Was thinking about wrapping some of the black plastic trim pieces in gloss carbon fibre vinyl, to make my bike look even more like a tarts handbag :).

Is it easyish to do or a sticky crinkly nightmare?

Cheers
    Mike

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Haven't done it myself, but there was a guy on here a few months ago who'd done it. Not much help to you, but I can't remember his name. The pics were good though. I guess it would be as difficult as covering books, except with a bike you're dealing with more 'double radius' curves. You might be aware that curves are best handled with a heat gun or hair dryer to make the wrap more pliable. This guy had even done his frame - so therein lies the best advice: don't overdo it.

Edited to say: See 'Fudster' on this thread: https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/panel-wrapping.31179/#post-425374

3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I've did my infills and exhaust cover. The trickiest though was the rear hugger, but it's lasted a couple of years so far.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That looks really pro. As I said above, the double curves are the hardest to get a good finish.

Strange how we all have different tastes. I took off the plastic cover and polished the heat shield for a different look. I guess that because I don't ride hard enough, I'll never get a hot leg!!:D:D

Heat Shield.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

Cool, im going to have a go at it, will be loads cheaper than buying the carbon bits.

There's some pretty good gloss vinyl carbon wrap available.

Already got a carbon hugger so won't have to worry about that :). Will just be the seat and tank infils.

6. jokeshopbeard

jokeshopbeard Active Member

It's pretty easy. Just make sure you've a hairdryer to hand!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Here's a bit more I did around the exhaust. I thought the heat would kill it, but again it's been on a few years now.
    [​IMG]

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Good to see. Just you and me with original 04-05 exhaust?;)

9. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Original on the outside, but empty on the inside ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

I did my belly panels recently. It's really not too difficult, but the quality of the vinyl will make a massive difference. Not just to the finished product, but also the application!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I used cheep vinyl and l ended up replacing it using 3m and edge primer. The trouble you have is you use heat to fit it so when you park your bike up after a run the edges start lifting due to heat. I then replaced with 3m vinyl and 3m edge primer, It has now stayed on