Vosges Mountains

Discussion in 'Touring' started by rewy..rr, Jan 13, 2016.

1. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

After much deliberation, decided to start 2016 trip in the Vosges mountains in France, anyone on here visited the area.?
    1st night stop in Verdun then into Mulhouse incorporating the Vosges, from then on 2 days exploring France and lower Germany ending up in Vianden for overnight stop before heading home .

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Done verdun on way to RN mate it was lovely.... I'll have to look at maps to remind myself if I've done any other routes round that way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Munster Valley, Gerardmer, then crossing the Rhine to Freiburg.

I have travelled through the Vosges, rather than the length of it.

It is France, but gets a German feel to it. Munster, when I was there in high summer, had dozens of Storks nesting in the town. Never seen so many. They all circle in the sun to get lift, and fly off. Lovely town, picture postcard stuff.

Gerardmer on the lake. Busy tourist spot, but lovely. After hours or days on a bike travelling on motorways through un-spactacular scenery, it is a treat to get somewhere like this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Jimbo you can be my personal travel advisor, you put me right on the 48 a couple of years ago, we seem to have similar views on destinations, I appreciate your advice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramsay

Ramsay Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Thanks Ramsey maps printed. Any other route or destination suggestions greatly appreciated.

7. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

We used the Cloche d'or hotel for accommodation in Verdun a few years back, good price, parking on the terrace, handy for seeing the town and close to bars/restaurants etc.

From there rode to Epinal and on to Colmar through the Vosges and crossed the Rhine on a free ferry at Rhinau en route to the B500 area around Baden Baden.

Verdun is worth seeing just to get a sense of how badly it was affected by ww1. Every building of an age has bullet holes and shell marks on it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Just planning my route now, thanks for suggestions

#8 rewy..rr, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  9. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Off to the Vosgues on day 1 of my trip to Mugello for the GP in May. Northern Vosgues to start, riding from Sarreguemines, through Bitche and finally across to Baden Baden where we're staying for the night. Then southern Vosgues on the return leg, staying in Gerardmer. Lovely place with a beautiful lake, riding the Grand Ballon from Cernay to get there.

Have fun!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

Surely you will call in at the Nurbergring, if not go there and ride the formula one track, 27 euro, great fun and a lot safer for the nervous ones. We did this last year on the way to Mugello.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mike S

Mike S Active Member

Following this thread with interest as 3 of us are planning a week away in early July and the Vosges area seems to be high on folks favourite places to tour/play. I've done the Mosel Valley area several times and whilst it's brilliant I fancy somewhere new for this years jaunt [emoji3]

12. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

If we get time will stop at ring did try last year but was pissing down, so just watched
    Very sensible me thinks.

13. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I'm away final week in June, I'm doing a trackday in Folembray on Friday 1st July and have decided to take the whole week off and make a trip of it.
    My plan is early morning tunnel Saturday and then ride down to Voges - do the main passes / routes on the Sunday to stay near the Swiss border on the French side. Monday I head for the Swiss passes for a couple of days, then back to Reims area for Thursday evening prior to trackday Friday.

Saturday aim to see the Somme - will be 100 years to the day since the battle and many events taking place to mark it then prob. home via Ypres Sunday morning. Currently Billy no mates for the first part till I get to the track day where I know loads of folk.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Sounds a great trip Alblade a good mix, sure you will find some great roads
    If you have time try and make the memorial ceremony at the Menin Gate at 8pm, very emotional, but a must if you haven't visited it before

#14 rewy..rr, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  15. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Thanks - happy for others to tag along if my itinerary appeals,only big day is the Saturday down to the Voges area, after that should be no more than 250 - 300 miles in a day (maybe less on the Swiss passes)
    Have been the Menin Gate and you are right it is crazy busy - other option is try and find a hotel near the Somme area - need to get a map out and get planning.

If anyone wants to tag along not an issue - there may be even be space on the trackday too!

16. Mike S

Mike S Active Member

I'm off to the Black Forest with two mates on 2nd July for a week. Staying down there for 4 nights and planning 3 full days out East (Vosges area), South (Neuchatel) and West (Titisee). Stopping at a biker friendly hotel in Kyllburg on the the way there and back which I've stayed at several times. Looking forward to it :)

17. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Assume you will be riding the B500, the B48 is a must (avoid the weekend if you can)

18. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I know one day prob not enough, esp on a Sunday but high summer means long days.
    May book hotel near Swiss boarder so I can just rock up early evening without having to search for a hotel.

19. mattmk1

mattmk1 Active Member

Im doing a week in the vosges in late June. Although having looked at the maps, rather than the black forest, we are carrying on into Switzerland and doing two days working through the passes around Andermatt - Susten, Grimsell etc.

Worth a look at, adds more miles but once your at the vosges it looks rude not to continue!