Warm weather riding gear recommendations

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by toffeeboy, Jun 9, 2016.

1. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Hi

Wondered if anyone had tried any of these new mesh or airflow jackets and trouser and could suggest the good and steer me away from the bad.

Finding the leathers just too hot at the moment, end up like a wet rag by the time I stop for a brew.

Would like something with in built armour if possible.

Any suggestions?

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dainese do a lot of leathers that have small perforations for summer and keeping cool

3. gray

gray Active Member

I have a made to measure BKS one piece, had it perforated to allow air flow, helps when your moving but still hot as hell in slow or static traffic

4. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Has anyone tried the textile stuff, I've always avoided textile in the past but it does llok like it'd be cool to ride in

5. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

I have a dainese raptors textile jacket for really hot days. It isn't mesh but has 4 zips, two on the shoulders and two on the forearms. I was sceptical but it flows loads of air all around your upper body.
    I did get the rev it gt air, the alpinestars mesh and to try but I didn't like the quality of them. Also i have a dainese leather jacket so I can use the back protector from that in the textile raptors.

6. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

I've got the rst ventilator suit. Can't remember which model number, but it's the one before the present model number if that makes sense.

Good suit, three separates. Outer only with mesh, removable waterproof membrane, removable quilted lining.

It's canny for the money...

7. Ian63

Ian63 Active Member

Apparently shorts, t shirts and trainers are the things to wear in this warm weather. That's what all the young kids on their Chinese bikes are wearing near me and they should no they've just passed their CBT

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

I was going to post, anybody saying shorts, t shirt and flip-flops gets an immediate red card but thought better of it, I know what you mean though, apparently the road turns into a one big bouncy castle when the sun comes out, you can slide and bounce without fear of cuts, breaks or abrasions ;-)

9. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

+1 for a dainese air jacket. Bought one about 6-7 years ago and use it every summer. Super comfortable and room for a back protector. Took me over the pyrenees once too.

10. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

I normally always wear my 1 piece hunter suit. Has loads of perforation in it so its great in the warm days on the bike. Depending on the heat i just alternate the base layers. So its its a little cold i'll wear long sleeves and cold killer leggings. A bit warmer then no leggings and a no sleeve base layer.

You could always try the riding jeans out with a decent quality leather or textile jacket above.

11. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

Full leathers of course, I have an IXS suit for really hot days, perforated to fook, Caberg Ego helmet, It has a sun roof!!! Shifts massive amounts of air.;)

12. callumw

callumw Active Member

I usually wear jeans with kevlar lining (current ones are by Hood) and my hot weather jacket for 24C+ riding is a Rukka AirRider.

The Rukka comes with 3DO armour installed and breathes a tonne of air through it.
    Hood also use 3DO for the knee protection, but it's an optional extra.

This video review was useful before I got mine (from Germany)

13. graemewalker

graemewalker Elite Member

Wish they had protection when they bin it at least us older ones have half a brain to see the outcome of coming off

14. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Since when did bikers become the safety police?

15. Punisher5964

Punisher5964 Active Member

I wear Kevlar jeans with an Alpine Stars GP Pro jacket and that's pretty good at getting lots of air in, very comfortable set up as well. If im going for a proper ride ill still wear my AS Challenger suit which is reasonably cool but no leather is cool at the lights.

16. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Always wear leathers even on hot days, not that we have had many of those this year.

I have1 piece Dainese suit enough ventilation to keep cool, wouldn't consider wearing anything other than leathers even if it's a bit uncomfortable in the heat, just ride faster to cool down.;)

17. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

Two years ago a mate went Spain and Portugal, he said his leathers were unbearable, calling in at village coffee shops, twisty roads,,\sun \Sun Sun,,cooking him.
    I think I will ride with my textiles over to Austria soon, but will get to work with the back protector and beef up all pads.

18. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I always do distance riding in Rukka gear.
    I removed the thermal linings very soon after buying them many years ago as I find it more comfortable to layer up using merino base layers plus mid layers which gives me lots of options depending on conditions.
    For instance, my last long trip to Mugello involved high temperatures in the south of France and at Mugello, but driving rain, high winds and sleet/ snow on the way back but with the Rukka plus very lightweight A/stars waterproof I arrived miserable but dry and warm.
    I dread to think how uncomfortable that journey would have been in full leathers.

19. RazorBlade

RazorBlade Member

We get the best of both worlds down here where I'm from. We get 40+ in the summer and -6 in winter. I ride in leathers in summer and wear Skins under the leathers. They seem to keep me running a bit cooler and stop the liners of your leathers from sticking to you. Also ride with a Kriega hydration pack on the really hot days.