Washing your bike

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by gcon45, Aug 12, 2018.

1. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

Just picked my 2018 SP up yesterday (wow by the way) and I’m looking for some advice regarding washing the bike.

I have used detergent and a power hose held at a distance on my previous bikes on the forward facing surfaces that get exposed to flies (upper cowl, screen etc) but those bikes were a lot more analogue and didn’t have the sensitive electronics and TFT screen that the SP has so I don’t want to be spraying water near it at all.

Question is, what do you do?

I don’t want to swirl the paintwork either.

What do you do with your bike?

Baby wipes???

2. bradt

bradt Elite Member

I always hand wash with warm water with a little detergent/shampoo, leather and polish, never used any type of pressure washer, cotton wool buds and toothbrush's to get intimate with those awkward bits.
    Have you considered Venture shield my blade is 9 years old now and all plastics and tank are as good as new
    and no swirl marks.
    Will cost you a few hundred to get it done but with a new bike especially one as expensive as yours its got to be worth it.

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Mmm useful....

but what do you use on the bike Brad?

;) :p

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. bradt

bradt Elite Member

trust you Lozzy;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Fairly similar to Brad, I use very damp chamois on screen and paintwork with Turtle Wax Car Wash followed by a solid Carnauba wax. This will give a build up of wax and make subsequent washes easier and less prone to swirling. In the interim I use Mr Sheen and have recently started using Liquid Crystal: http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...8ALk9DYf_leGE9CLsZoIPRrqI8BuYjt0aAoEtEALw_wcB

I find Mr Sheen just as good on frame and wheels, although I use WD 40 on the titanium exhaust rather than a polish.

I would never use a hose or pressure washer, but then again, I don't have to deal with road grime that other riders might experience.

2018 1..jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

On mine light hose spray on the muc off have a brew rinse off and dry with a micro fibre towel.....GT85 all the exhaust headers start up and enjoy the smell....job done....try not to use a sponge or chamois as this is what causes the swirls...

• Like Like x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I might give the GT 85 a go next time I'm due to purchase.

I think swirls will only occur if there's grit/particles in the sponge or chamois itself. A chamois alone is not abrasive enough to cause etching in the paint. One of the problems occurs when a sponge/chamois is double-dipped into USED water where it may then gather particles to transfer to the tank etc.

I do use microfibres, but more for the final polish rather than dry off. Might give that a try also given that microfibres are now a dime a dozen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Please take advice from the people above. I am the ‘Hyacinth Bucket’ of bike cleaning so I better not start. If you follow my advice you will never ride your Motorcycle.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. fusspot07

fusspot07 Active Member

I use plexus on the plastic good stuff but not cheap

10. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi N I use a megiurs drying cloth it's about £12 but you can wash it and use it again and again halfords do there own version for £5.....you will love the smell of GT85 does the same as wd40 but better....also use a gloss polish once a year on the plastics not to often or you will slip off the bike....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

Does anyone use a product called "Mer"... I still have a blue bottle from 10+ years or so ago. Found it brilliant when polishing the old Beetle (sadly now sold :().

12. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Still use MER but its in a black bottle now but its brilliant stuff, but convert to Maguires now

• Like Like x 1
  13. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

As someone who details cars and bikes as a hobby (catharsis for someone like me) I use S100 as an AIO, then wash with a CG wool mitt and CG wash & gloss, followed by a quick dry with the waffle weave. Then a good going over with some Riccardo clay and my own concoction of clay lube. I usually wash again, then hit it with Menzerna polish, depending on the level of swirls and RIDS. I follow that with yet another wash, then Jetseal followed by the LSP which is usually either Svisswax Cryatal Rock or Dodo Juice Supernatural. After wax, I follow up with a once over with Dodo Juice Red Mist and it is perfection. Now, granted, this is not my every week detail, but it is my every other month detail. Usually takes me about 6 hours. I get the regular chain and wheel cleaning done first, of course, and do, in fact, wax the wheels.

• Like Like x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow, Mr Spy. You do ALL THAT for a Repsol?:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I'd do that for my old Hornet if I still had it.

As for the Pani, I just run over that with sandpaper and a brick :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

Snow foam, power washer, Some meguiars and rinse. Sometimes a spray on wax if it’s lucky lol

17. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Your supposed to wash them .?

• Like Like x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, you must be bored on lunch break!!;)

19. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Lol.. Not in till 4 today :)
    Plenty of time to wash my bike...
    But I errr forgot .:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I bought some vinyl stone chip protector off the bay, made paper templates then fitted, only about £20, worth every penny