Wedgie Tyke Racing #223 2015

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Round 2 Cadwell Park

We had been really looking forward to this one over the winter and pretty much wrote Round 1 @ Brands off as a learning curve... Shame that wedgie had his incident at brands as it meant that he couldn't ride this time round, so we used our 3rd rider Jonboy McNally who stood in for us at Brands last minute.

Got to Cadders on the thursday and got set up with our full factory party tent and generator (would recommend this setup to anyone)..

[​IMG]

On the evening we got loads of pizza and beer delivered and got chatting about the weekend ahead...

Friday (Test day) we woke up to a very wet and miserable cadwell park

[​IMG]

We both went out second session and slid around a lot not making much progress, there was standing water all over the place and only a handful of bikes out on track. They stopped the sessions until dinner time then declared an open pitlane.

In the afternoon as a dry line started to emerge in places we kept going out and managed to get somewhere near still on wets and with most of the track still soaked through, me 1.51 and jonboy 1.46 (wet master)

Knowing the following day was supposed to be dry we finished around 3pm and got scrutineered, wedgie had also turned up with loads of beers and our pit scooter :)

Saturday morning and time for qually...

With rain overnight the track was again a wet mess so jonboy went out first with the transponder, going well when a few laps in I see him sprinting up the hill by the mountain grandstand waving a transponder in the air, he'd gone down into charlies 1...

On the bike and I went out for a few laps not really pushing as we potentially only had my bike left in one piece for the endurance.

Stayed on it and came back in to find all the lads already sorting out jonboys bike, what a team every just cracked on with a bit each and it was soon ready to be rechecked at scrutineering.

All in all not so bad and we qualified 22 on the grid out of 33 teams

By 3pm we had carted everything we needed down to the pitlane and had both bikes on the warmers ready to go, we were the only team without a gazebo so as the sun came out at 2.59 (literally lol!) we had a sigh of relief

Warm up lap took place and I positioned the bike ready for the start..

Lights out and I ran to the bike... start! no...

In gear? Imobilizer?? Stalled it! what a blend.

here's a pic of everyone gone and me still trying to get her going...

[​IMG]

Finally got started and went off like a scolded cat! Made up 9 places in the first 2 laps and by the time I came in we were sitting in 16th overall and 3rd in class (out of 10 clubman 1000cc teams)

Jonboy went out and started putting in some solid times and we crept up a place into second, we were now hovering around the top ten mark

My second stint was the best I've ever felt on a bike, loved every minute of it, only managed a 1.41 but with the temperatures in single figures I was happy and consistent, when I pitted we were inside the top ten and leading our class!!!

Jonboy went out to continue the effort and came back in to send me out again for my final stint, this stint was shit safety car was out for most of it and then i got a board to pit, the team behind us had complained that jonboy overtook under safety car (more on this later). Came in but so did the safeety car so I couldnt serve the penalty and had to drive through, wait 10 seconds, then go back out. Another flying lap and then I came in to do a 60 second stop and go penalty. All in all around 3 minutes lost dropping us back into second. Bollocks!!!

Finished my stint and came in to jonboy going out with the angriest face ive ever seen. He was lapping 4/5 seconds a lap quicker than the other team on a K1 gsxr 600 (they were on brand new zx10s), but we just couldn't pull it back...

Jonboy took the flag with us lying in 2nd place for clubman 1000s and 9th on the road not too bad to say we started about a minute behind the rest with my cocked up start.

We tried to contest the penalty but you have to make an official complaint and pay to send off forms, we didn't want that we wanted the trophy as we knew we deserved it. Jonboy has contacted the tv company who were recording as the safety car flags weren't out until the gooseneck and he overtook at charlies 1. If we get it on camera its off on facebook lol.

Either way it was an interesting race and throroughly enjoyed by all, can't wait to go back in the summer when its warmer and get into the 30s.

Bike was mint, the pit team were faultless. Can't wait to have wedgie back at pembrey and take it to them again!!

Here's the trophy...

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading guys

• Like Like x 11
  2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Nice one Mark! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. scooby

scooby Elite Member

top result,sounds like there are going to be 1st place trophies coming in soon enough.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Great write up mate and awesome result....

Guess that's what makes endurance so exciting. You'll get em next time!!

Well done mate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkshire Tyke

Cheers guys never a dull moment highs and lows but a great team effort

6. jamesm09

jamesm09 Senior Member

Well done guys!

How long are your stints when doing endurance?

7. Yorkshire Tyke

They vary between 25-35 minutes james but can be up to 40 if there is an incident not too bad really but hard work in the heat I can imagine

8. jamesm09

jamesm09 Senior Member

Any longer than 25-35 mins then I'd be knackered I reckon.

I just want to have a go at starts lol

9. Yorkshire Tyke

Its totally different sprints are more aggressive but after I did endurance at brands the sprint seemed like an anticlimax.

10. jamesm09

jamesm09 Senior Member

Really? I'll have to have a go sometime. But I just need to concentrate on improving my times first lol.

11. Yorkshire Tyke

Yeah I'm a bit gutted I didnt get under 1.40 but the quick lads were only doing 35s and they did 30s last year so temperature must pkay some part

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jamesm09

jamesm09 Senior Member

Some good times you did there in those conditions. Not a massive gap!

13. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Great write up and sounds like a blast was had by all. Am sure Karma will bite that other team on the arse at some time this year :)

14. Scott

Scott Active Member

That boys a wet animal. Is he a penguin

15. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Brilliant weekend really enjoyed id of rather of been on bike but cracking result the boys were on it proud of you really am . Roll on Pembrey then a 6 hour at Snett .

16. Scott

Scott Active Member

Heal u must yoda. And learn the dark force of traction

17. wedgiewolves#223

Mega day yesterday at Mallory park it was just a initial test to see how my broken collar bone held up to the braking force etc but I seemed fine on bike mark was of course flying we did have team formation WTR racing without us hitting each other so bonus I managed 6 sessions a couple were cut short due to reds but really happy and stuck in my PB at Mallory 56.3 roll on pembrey

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Yorkshire Tyke

Fuckin rapid mate awesome

19. wedgiewolves#223

Learning off you mate honestly

20. Yorkshire Tyke

Everytime I think I'm goin fast you just wap out a beasty lap time. So impressive with a spazzy collar bone mate well done