Weight loss

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by blink, Sep 28, 2019.

1. blink

blink Well-Known Member

Some of you know i have lost some weight lately, but I have sort of got stuck.
    im 6ft4, was an optimistic 19 stone, and now am 15stone 5ish.

a few things have happened
    i miss chocolate, biscuits, cake an awful lot
    i dont miss mcdonalds
    i also dont miss ready meals
    everyone asks me if i feel better for it, i dont feel any different!
    my special equipment is new and improved!
    when i put a tshirt on, i look like a bird cage that someone has thrown a cover over.
    bones are appearing all over, and it now hurts sitting on hard furniture
    I can lean forward on my bike!

anyway, i look better, i find chubby bears attractive, but i want to be a slim bear :D Anyway, this is what i have done so far

stopped eating anything other than an evening meal, and i have Herbalife shakes at work, no biscuits, sweets, chocolate, nuts and crisps in the pub, no hot chocolate, or milkshakes, no longer keep it in the house. I got down to 15.5 stone and the weight loss slowed, so I started walking at work, only 45 mins a day, but it leaves me out of breath because of the pace i make, my legs are thicker now, which is ok but it leaves me in quite considerable pain because of the damage to the tendons in my feet caused by (believe it or not) my stomach problems.

I dont really want to stop eating much more, so have been thinking about gyms, the thought of which gives me a nose bleed (almost). So, im back to the problem of wanting to do something, but finding it impossible to start.

So, does anyone have any comments on a fat bloke trying to be less fat, what gyms are like, really i think id need someone to tell me what to do, if there is any point in the first place

oh, i was gonna join a weight loss forum, but cant find one, so i figured a fireblade forum was as good a place as any.

2. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

What do they reckon your ideal weight is?

3. blink

blink Well-Known Member

there is no they, but the nhs calculator says i should be 10st 12lb - 14st 9lb I am big and broad too

4. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I’m no expert but 10st for 6ft 4 sounds a bit optimistic. They, yes they again, whoever they are, say eat less more exercise but it certainly reads like you’ve already done that so I’m out

5. blink

blink Well-Known Member

i think so too, to be honest, i want to lose the belly, so i can tuck a shirt into my jeans without looking like a muffin, i think thats the goal.

i do think the nhs stuff is a bit unrealistic, if i was 10 stone, id look pretty ill lol

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Blink, part of your current problem is denying morning and midday meals. Your body changes to a catobolic state which means that not only are you losing body fat, your are also losing lean body weight (muscle) which is not a desired outcome. This will contribute to the foot pain because there is less muscular tissue to support the tendons and bone structure.

Gyms can be a pain, both physically and mentally,for some, but if you could motivate yourself for even 3 sessions per week, you would maximise your weight loss and restore lean weight thereby improving the look and function of your physique. I know this will be up to work demands and personal preference, but I prefer early morning sessions of 6 or 6.30 opening gyms because once done it's out of the way for the day. For me, it gives a more positive outlook to the day.

Herbal life, as a multi-level marketing company, might not offer the best and most effective protein/carbohydrate/fat ratio in its shakes. I have no objection to the use of these drinks, but firmly suggest you consider some of the brands available in health food or sports stores. USN is a good one, and some gyms even have their own brands and there are online suppliers also: https://www.theproteinworks.com/whe...5Ewz1JTgkYlve4Ar-W7lANMtUNJrHraxoCa8sQAvD_BwE

If you can make walking a part of your daily routine, that will help greatly. 30 mins in the evening will spike the metabolism, which is what you need at the mo. Your body is shutting itself down and going into preservation mode - hence slow to nil present weight loss. You must keep the metabolism ticking over. You've done well to date; now's the time to capitalise on it. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. blink

blink Well-Known Member

the drinks are morning, and afternoon jobs, 250 calories each, i think they are whats made it possible for me to get this far.

the muscles in my legs are definitely bigger than they used to be so i dont really think i have lost muscle mass.

I dont have much objection to going to a gym, but without someone telling me what to do, its just not gonna happen. I dont even know what you would do in a gym.

I walk daily at lunchtime, and quite enjoy that, the pain lasts about 4 hours though, mostly on my Achilles tendons

8. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

I've just lost 2 stone . I'm now 14. 6 stone. I'm 6ft2in I feel a bit better last job i was stuck at a desk its been the more active lifestyle . I don't eat chocolate crisps or cake I don't snack never have . I eat eggs on toast in the morning around 6.30 or a grapefruit . Lunch is a pack up around 2. Sandwich brown bread beef or ham filling a yogurt an apple and some raisens then tea is whatever we all have as a family one kids gone veggie but the rest all eat meat so it's a pasta and chicken or a mines or beef and veg and potato tea. No evening snacks and just a couple of beers on weekend and maybe a jack . Hummm thinking on I should be huge
    I'm walking on average 7 to 9 miles a day . Good luck @blink

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi @blink - you can ignore the 10 stone 12 as a target completely. I’m an inch shorter than yourself and when I was ill and on the chemo I dropped to 10 stone 10 and was a bag of bones. Not a good look even if I’d been in the peak of health. Hats off to you at getting down to 15 stone 5 I say, but that might be it - I think everyone has a weight they are genetically designed/programmed for.

After I recovered and the weight started going up I really wanted to stop at 15 stone but no matter how I tried it just kept creeping up to the svelte 15 stone 12 that I was before and am again - it’s just the weight I’m meant to be.

10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Pain in your achilles sounds like tendonitis. Can be caused by a sudden change in activity/use. Build things up slowly and that pain should eventually dissipate.

Go and join the gym, listen to the PTs, do some classes and start learning. Just put yourself out there Blink! Everyone in the gym has goals and they aren't all super ripped athletes, you'll see all kinds in there. Good luck.

11. blink

blink Well-Known Member

the thing is, i enjoy eating, so do it from boredom, opportunity, any excuse, putting food in my mouth is exciting, sounds weird maybe, but I miss the sensation of eating sweets while watching tv, crisps in the car and all that sort of stuff. I still find it virtually impossible to order a 'small' sandwich, or small anything, that is def gonna be harder.

I think the 10stone thing is ridiculous for me too, and maybe im hung up on the weight part, when i should be thinking about the shape i want instead. I dont have flabby arms, neck or legs anymore, its all belly

Glad you are back to your healthy 15 stone now too :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. blink

blink Well-Known Member

it is tendonitis, i also have plantar fasciitis, its caused by a medication I took because of my stomach problems. I understand its irreversible, and can spontaneously get worse, at any point in the future.

I now understand why so many men on grindr ask for 'gym buds' (unless thats some euphemism for sex that I dont understand) I really wouldnt go to a gym alone, until I feel confident enough to know what to do

13. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Gyms can be be daunting if you've never been but there is no need to be wary of them.

Most gyms will do an induction session to show you round the machines etc, and you can normally book sessions with a Personal Trainer if you want extra guidance and a personalised training programme.

Other than that just go on the treadmill or cross trainer and watch how others use the weight machines etc to figure out what to do.

As for weight loss I dropped 4 stone last year, have put 2 back on but am back on the case now. People told me I looked gaunt/ill and my sternum looked like a budgie's ski ramp. On the upside I went from 36" waist trousers, and they were tight, to 30" ones! Now I in 32" inch and they are more than snug hence back on a diet.

Even with all the weight loss I was still at a BMI of low 20s so only just under the NHS figure of 25. In my opinion it is a useless measurement as multiple factors can affect it such as your build, but the NHS seem to like it. Personally as long as I am comfortably fitting in the 32" jeans then I will be happy even though it will put my BMI at about 24-25.

14. blink

blink Well-Known Member

im wearing 32" jeans now, im very happy about that, I wasnt fitting 32" jeans when i was 15, I still have every bit of clothing I have ever bought, and stuff I bought when i was 20 that was too tight to wear, now fits, so I know im slimmer now than i was then, but I also seem to remember being 95kg.

I really do have a problem with stuff like this, so i wouldnt be going to a gym alone, unless i did have an appointment with someone, maybe.

15. hitch

hitch Elite Member

If you can find a leisure centre you may prefer group exercise classes.
    I know I do.
    I do the Les Mills Bodypump and Body Combat classes and Spin classes, each two or three times a week.

Couple of Protein shakes a day, often a protein meal replacement shake for lunch. Loads of fruit; bananas to least two a day, natural yoghurt with blueberries and raspberries mixed in and I munch on Walnuts and Almonds during the day too.
    Evening meal is normally a veggie dish ‘cos of the kids but occasionally a chicken stir fry.

16. blink

blink Well-Known Member

i dont eat enough fruit, if I did start, it would be extra food that i wouldnt otherwise be eating. Im making pasta soup tonight, of some sort

17. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

I have to agree with @Boothman
    Everyone has a preprogrammed genetic weight but social influences and the foodstuffs we eat can affect it - in both directions though. If I could offer any advice especially since a gym is daunting for you it would be to find a personal trainer. I have a friend who now does that and it is much more reasonable than you might think and probably no more expensive than going to a gym. That way you will get consistent activities designed for you and eating advice which is again tailored to suit you

18. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Ideally, you need to eat little and often as opposed to the traditional three meals a day.

I break my food intake down over 5/6 “meals” a day. You’ll be surprised at how little food can fill you up.
    We are all guilty to some extent of overeating (eyes bigger than your belly my mum used to say)...smaller portions and eating slower will help as well.

19. blink

blink Well-Known Member

thats probably more my sort of thing

my eyes are often bigger than my belly too :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I'd give you the same advice I give anyone who's looking to lose weight. Do some weight training.

It might sound counter-intuitive but let me explain.

When you lift weights it effectively damages your muscles. Your body then repairs that damage. This is how larger / stronger muscles are built.

Whilst I've never struggled with my weight I do tend to like to lose a few pounds before going on holiday so every year I've done the same thing. Start weight training about 6 weeks before the holiday and count every calorie I eat and drink. I keep my calories at around 1,800 / day and the weight just falls off me.

The great thing about weights is that it continues to burn fat long after you've stopped working out unlike cardio which mostly burns it while you're doing it. So you'll be asleep in bed with your body working to repair the damage done by lifting the weights.