Weird rectifier/Regulator readings!

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Slick, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Having a few charging problems, noticed cold my charging systems runs at 13.60v lower than I would expect but nothing drastic. Hot ie after my commute with fans blazing it is running at 12.4v both at idle. Essentially my battery is slowing draining

Did a few checks on the charging system,

Current draw OK
    Stator good resistance between coils, no continuity with ground, so all good there!

Checking the R/R with the diode tester I get the following between battery outputs and stator input terminals

0 0 0
    510 510 510
    0 0 0
    110 110 110

see vid for ref

All the vids I've seen have diode readings pretty much the same should the reading be the same in both directions ie the line of 110s should read 510???

Is my R/R shot?

TIA!

Slick

2. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they need revving up to charge

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Just to add when reved no more than 14v but when fans spinning 12.8v

My main query was the diode readings, surely when you get some values it should be the same when you reverse polarity?

4. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

Not an electrical genius but I'm pretty sure diodes only go one way, hence the readings, there are threads on here. I had problems with my charging system a while back. Have you checked the voltage from the stator? I think you unplug stator lead from reg/rec ground neutral and test each pin should be like 40-50v on all 3 phases before it gets to rectifier. If not It's the stator. This was for 04-07 model

• Like Like x 1
  5. Slick

Slick Elite Member

AFAIK the diode test should be zero in one direction then the 500ish when you switch terminals on the battery output. When you switch over the multimeter probes you should get the same values.(Im getting 100ish, so be 500)

This is a ball ache on the ABS as the stator connector is under the tank! Easy to check resistance and continuity but as the tank is off voltage while the engine is running is an arse.

I did find one of the stator connectors was corroded, cleaned it up now getting 13.6v

6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

The diodes are a PITA to check on the regulators mate, the readings you get for the diodes really depends on your meter.

Can you see any damage to the regulator? Normally found on the resin underside.
    I'm not certain but I think the 08+ use the mosfet regulator type rather than the older more prone to failure shunt type.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Thanks Craig, see no damage, just a little corrosion on the stator connector. Just got a cheap meter with a diode test function ( which my old trusty meter lacks) Its just that all the vids I seen show the same values when you switch probes.

Just still trying to diagnose my ABS woes!!!
    Like clockwork fails on the same part of my journey, replaced front modulator, there is no air in the system, using Motul 660 so definitely not boiling, my latest theory is the voltage drops so low during my journey that the ABS has a hissy fit

8. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Stole the stuff below from another thread I posted in while back but it shows what I had to deal with on the Suzuki, it uses old shunt style reg and Suzuki nicely buried it between the radiator and the headers to make it roasty toasty!

9. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

How far on your journey does the abs give out is it miles n miles?

Can you get the voltage to drop while the bikes in the garage/driveway with the fan on?

You may need to run a couple of wires out from the battery to the multimeter and gaffa tape the meter to the tank so you can check the bat voltage on the go.

"Blade abs believers spoiler alert you may not want to read below!"
    Ps. Just pull the abs mate you will save yourself a lot of time and hassle in the long run! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Idle voltage drops to below 12.4 when the right fan kicks in, if both kick in i'm guessing low 12s high 11s, way too low IMO. Will put in a meter like in your photo to track the voltage when on the go.

As you know been running without ABS( pull the fuse) for a while now but recently flushed with Motul 660, fitted new modulator, new discs and still having issues.
    Liking the blade without ABS but would rather was there if shit happens....

11. Slick

Slick Elite Member

ABS fails after 12ish miles

12. Slick

Slick Elite Member

found the culprit of my charging woes,
    Stator passed the resistance and ground test but one phase was only kicking out 8v at idle( the only 2 were over 20v). A few coils burnt out.

Replacement part £306!!
    IMG_6748.JPG

13. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

14. Slick

Slick Elite Member

thanks for that, unfortunately the stator for the 2009 ABS ONLY* fits that model. Bought a 2010 ABS stator off ebay only to find it didn't fit!!
    It's so specific even my local supplier doubts pattern parts will fit

Might wait it out and see if one pops up on ebay as Honda have them on back order until the end of the month.

How much oil came out when you changed the stator, I dropped the oil first so none came out. Wondering if you can remove the stator without dropping the oil first

*thanks Honda

15. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

Sorry for some reason I thought you had 06, until I noticed the bit about ABS. As for oil on 04-07 minimal loss, I just had a rag handy when I popped the seal nothing much at all came out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Slick

Slick Elite Member

from this IMG_6748.JPG
    to this
    IMG_6774.JPG

Blade running sweet and feck me the ABS starting working too!