What’s the most boring bike related item to spend your money on?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mk3golfcab, May 4, 2020.

1. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Mine has to be leathers, hate buying them, I’ve had the same set for 10 years (luckily I still fit - just!)

I loathe buying them, no joy in it for me although I’d love a fresh set every year or two I just can’t bring myself to it and my money goes elsewhere!
    What’s yours?

2. Empty_Ten

Empty_Ten Active Member

Visors and Pinlocks, because they're not cheap (but essential). I still havent gotten around to replacing my AGV Sport Modular Clear Visor, £70!! And Pinlocks being around £25-£30 each.

I go through at least 1 clear one a year. And then there are the RPHA 11 visors which frequently crack around the release latch even if you're careful

• Like Like x 1
  3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I must confess I’ve only ever bought one visor, I normally buy a new lid but then my lid budget is around £200 every 4 years :D I don’t get out much!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Road tax

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

do my speeding fines count ?

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Yes definitely!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gravel trap

well it's been 1250 in last year and a bit. glad it now counts for something

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Fookin hell GT :eek::eek::eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Gravel trap

yes I know . Mrs graveltrap does like to remind me .

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Gravel trap

we ran out of cash doing up the house after we bought it so no lounge wall lights just the wires hanging out the wall . some no curtains downstairs . no doors downstairs no kitchen worktops just ply so she likes to say once a month oh I'd love to read my book and just have a small light on but you have to ride like a dickhead on that thing blah blah . I look at the outstanding jobs and think we'll I need a new fairing and the wheels need a powder coat an exhaust would be good so ill get her some candles from Lidl. yeah she likes them.so can read like a Victorian in her Victorian sitting room.

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Insurance it does my foucking head in

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Slick

Slick Elite Member

wellnuts - boring, I also hate them

#12 Slick, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Connor Parkes

Connor Parkes Active Member

I kept having this issue as did my father who also had the same helmet. Oxford replaced our visors 3 times because they would crakc and the loacking tab would snap off.
    What was noted was the use of anti-bacterial spray to clean the visors, I believe the eurea in the antibac was causing the plastic to go brittle and crack, stopped using that and close the visors pushing from the top and they have been okay since.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Security gear.
    Yes, I have top of the line locks and other gadgets but it just annoys the heck out of me that I have to spend good money just to fend off some idiot who doesn't understand the idea of 'personal property'.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Air fresheners, seem to get through so many as they keep flying off the mirrors. Don't know why, they last for ages in the car.

;)

#15 Barstewardsquad, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 6
  16. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I would normally agree but I've just repaired a crappy Argos anglepoise lamp with a wellnut today.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Tyres hate scrubbing them in although most modern rubber is much better than it used to be ....new set going on weekend so could be 1st time using mode 3 max traction control

• Like Like x 1
  18. Empty_Ten

Empty_Ten Active Member

Didn't even think to go claim on warranty and all that at the time. Mugged myself right off there :(

I don't use mine much but when I dug it out the other day to lend the visor to the Missus, the tear off/pinlock post snapped when I took the pinlock off. It's a great helmet but the visor is definitely the weak point. I managed to cannibalise parts from the light tint visor included

I do exactly as you do ie pushing from the top, and I think Oxford now advise that you use the latch to unlock the visor, but to push the visor up on the visor itself rather than the release latch.

19. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Ear plugs. Been wanting to get some custom ones made as the foam ones are agony to get out sometimes.

20. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I took the plunge on these a couple of years ago mate, the company I used is ACS. I cocked up though, you only get a 2 week comfort warranty with them. I didn't get a chance to do a long enough ride within the 2 weeks to give them a proper try. Turns out for me one of them becomes quite uncomfortable after a long day of riding. I now use foamies most of the time, luckily I can get them free from work. So if you do get some be careful of the warranty and make sure you give them a proper shakedown within the comfort warranty.

• Like Like x 2