What a difference

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by T.C, Feb 8, 2017.

1. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have had my car nearly 8 years. I brought it new and it has been brilliant and I still enjoy driving it despite the 100,000 mile mark fast approaching and it has been super reliable so far (says I looking for some wood to touch)

When I ordered my car, I had the option of specifying HiD lights, but it was quite an expensive option and to be honest modern headlights tend to be pretty good these days don't they? Well not in my case. Full beam is fine but from day one the dip bean has been awfull,

I have been meaning to upgrade the bulbs for some time, and tonight at long last I managed to get around to doing just that.

WoW, what a difference. The packaging states that the bulbs, although the same wattage, are 100% brighter than standard,

I would say that they are more than that, in comparison it is like driving in daylight.

I feel such a prat for having left it so long, and it is not as if it is even an expensive modification, just a fiddly pain in the arse as everything is so cramped to gain access to the back of the headlight unit, especially on the passenger side.

Anyway, all done now, big smile on my face and I can start to enjoy night time driving again which I tend to have to do quite a bit of with work.

Happy days :)

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've installed led bulbs in my car and they're great as the oem candles were shocking having got used to HID in my old car, well worth looking at if upgrading bulbs

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Shame you'll blind everyone else in the process..... But sure you got the liability on that one covered :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. T.C

T.C Elite Member

They don't blind, and given the 5 candle power output of the previous bulbs I had to do something, and whilst I know many of the legal loop holes, I do not mess around with legality and safety when it comes to mechanical condition of either the bike or the car.

Even when it goes in for its MOT, despite the fact that it is done by a friend of mine and he would be prepared to overlook some things, I insist that it is given the full works so I am aware of faults or faults can be rectified as a matter of urgency.

My licence is a must have for work, it is a privelidge not an entitlement and given the job (s) I do I have to be seen to be above board.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Haha, Tony, your post has inspired me to sort mine....

Until last year I've been in a Land Rover since 2006 and my headlights have been brill...

So, last year, for practical reasons, I dropped down to a gutless 1.4 Astra Estate which I treat as a dog van with windows :rolleyes:

I have to wear a minors lamp on my head when driving in the dark cos the lights are so crap. Thanks for inspiring me :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Interesting, as this is a subject I was pondering this very morning on the way to work. My car sits a little bit lower than most and it's hugely noticeable just how many vehicles have just one headlight out of alignment with the other, dazzling me both from ahead and in the mirror. I'm surprised that, if the vehicle is undamaged as to just how this can happen.

By the way, Tony, which bulbs did you choose?

7. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Chill mate - was only pulling your plonker!!!

Although some HID's (not saying you have installed them) are definitely 'blinding'! and are dangerous imo.

8. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I think they are something like an Osram Nightbreaker or similar. I have thrown the packaging away now.

They were about £30 for the pair.

No sweat :) I bit because I had a neighbour stand over me whilst I was fitting them and was telling me in his best Harry Enfield voice "You don't want to do thaaaat" :mad: and then spent the next 40 minutes whilst I was struggling to get the 2nd bulb in about the legality of headlights and how the Police were going to pull me.

But it seemed to shut him up when I asked him what else he knew about the Road vehicle lighting regs 1989. His reply? "Whats that then? " :rolleyes::D He went away quite quickly after that, but he just got my back up.

So back to your original comment, I apologise, I did not mean to sound sarcastic or condesending.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

my lad bought a new Hyundai i10 about 5 years ago. The lighting was abysmal. First job new lamps from Halfords. I even paid for them to fit them, so pleased I did. It took them ages to fit and they had to manhandle the bodywork with what looked like tyre levers.

10. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

Got nightbreakers in the Blade, that good I put them in the daughters Yaris, always change them

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I put nightbreakers in the two mainbeam sockets on the blade last years. They make the point well... and make a wall of light from about 20 feet ahead onwards. Coming back over Haldon hill after the Paignton bike night, my mate, a couple of miles back said that he couldn't see me but he could tell every time there was no oncoming cars in front of me.

I originally bought them for my wife's car, but put a pair of dichroic 'foul weather' bulbs in it instead. Here's a good tip: don't. The dichroic filters warm the colour of the beam too much and it just makes it appear too dim. They might be good in fog, but on a wet night with no street lighting it feels like you're on sidelights.

So I've just picked up a pair of nightbreaker laser bulbs for my car and I'll put the ones from the blade in the wife's car and stick the originals back in the the bike.

Tonight in the garage it'll be a bit of a round robin.

I just bought a pair of nightbreaker laser bulbs

12. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Downside of these Bulbs is their life expectancy!

As little as 2 years.

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I saw that on their site, but I've never subscribed to that going without now just so I can live longer, cheaper in misery bit, so...

#13 kpone, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  14. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

My understanding is that HID or LED light fitted as an upgrade where they were not fitted before is not road legal.
    Replacing the light bulbs with similar types (orsam or in my case Philips) is road legal provided their power rating is the same.
    the brighter the filament glows, the shorter its life span. Despite that my high lumen replacement H4 on my Yamaha single which vibrates like a coffee grinder has been good so far (after 6 years).
    One more point is that the light output of the bulbs reduces over time anyway

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Osram Night Racer are the best !

16. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Which led bulbs did you go for?

17. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just about to change mine again so will keep you informed! As bought some for the car which are a massive improvement again over the ones I installed on the bike and they'll fit inside the headlamp no problem and are easier to fit

18. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

thanks mate I'm after some for my van