What cager do you have?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by thewiz, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Good point but I think the crafmanship in the frame...bodywork etc ..is....also of it keeps a British brand going I think they are working towards there own at some point lets hope brooks and mcpint have a good TT for the brand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I think there's a lot to be said for not jumping on the new car finance/PCP bandwagon. I always had an interest in cars as a kid; the usual stuff like Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. I actually only learnt to drive 6 years ago. Before that I rode year round and it was only as I got older I decided being cold wasn't much fun any more.

Next time I swap I'm considering something like a cheap JCW Mini I can fanny around with as a bit of a toy. I only really need a car for staying warm and dry and occasional family duty.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

What do you guys think about Volkswagen Golf GTE? Thinking about buying a Budget car to get around in wintertime etc. The 2016 models have loads of extra and factory warrenty until 2021.

Would actually really like a BMW 330e, but they are twice the price of the golf With similar extras.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Not really that fussed about flash cars. We have two cars in the family which we fully own outright. The wife's is a 15 plate Hyundai i30 and I drive the 59 plate Vauxhall Corsa. Like I said, nothing special.

• Like Like x 1
  5. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I think it is all subjective. I used to feel the same and always brought my own cars secondhand and paid for them outright.

Then I started getting brand new company cars, but when I came out of the company car scheme and had to make a choice, I did the rounds and visited every car dealer.

I was looking at a good second hand car, with a combination of large deposit and the balance on finance/PCP

It was actually cheaper to buy new than second hand as interest rates were better, it worked out on my car something like £40 a month cheaper over 3 years buying the Jag new than a second hand model.

The other benefit was I got the full 3 year factory warranty.

3 years down the line I paid the settlement figure (although I had the option of using it as a deposit on a new car or handing it back and walking away) and I have not regretted it.

So, 9 years on, I have to say that PCP has worked very well for me. I have had my car from new. It is paid for and I will probably run it into the ground now, but I also appreciate that it is not for everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That's what I'm talkin' about!!

Now that I'm walkin' in Italian footsteps, I can just see that Fiat parked next to my MV. I've already PMd 'bradt' for a handbag!:cool::cool:

7. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I used to think that PCP deals were insane but something we often forget when we buy cars is depreciation. My last car was a Mazda 3. Nothing particularly unusual. Tend to hold their value reasonably well but it still depreciated at a rate of about £130.00 / month in the time I had it. Yet it's a cost I never even considered when I bought it.

With a PCP the depreciation is someone else's problem (though I'm sure it's factored into the price to some extent).

In any case, my current car is a Skoda Octavia VRS (or the iron curtain fire engine as my mate uncharitably calls it :D). Well it's not actually mine in the traditional sense. It's company wheels.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

The initial period of a PCP is set up to pay for the depreciation almost exactly. Add your deposit to the monthly payments for the 2 or 3 year period and you will end up with the depreciation figure. Someone always has to pay for the depreciation, it doesn't vanish into thin air and it sure as shit doesn't get swallowed up by the dealer.

They're a good way to buy a cheap car if the APR is reasonable and you can pay the balloon payment. If you get caught in the merry go round of swapping cars every 3 years then before long it becomes like renting a house. Everyone knows how adverse we are in this country to renting houses when we could buy instead....wonder why folk are so different when it comes to cars? Probably because manufacturers spend millions marketing their cars getting people to part with their dosh.

9. dainesefreak

I think PCP is fine as long as you understand what you're signing up for. Unfortunately a lot of people don't, along with dealers selling ridiculously expensive extras like Gap insurance and paint protection.

Paying the bubble at the end usually isn't the cheapest way to buy a car. Although it does allow a lot of people to get into a more expensive car than they could afford by paying for it outright and that's the appeal.

It's also a great product for the dealer. Dealer gets to shift new cars, gets bonus from manufacturer for numbers sold, customer gets better APR than buying used. Generally the dealer expects repeat custom rather than expecting the customer to pay the bubble or walk away and lose their initial deposit.

Don't get me wrong, I’ve had my last 2 cars on PCP. Fortunately I've managed to get 20% off both times. If I'd decided to pay the bubble and buy them I would only just have come in under the retail price.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Robbo52

Robbo52 Active Member

I’ve got a 15 year old Astra, bought cheap and it’s sweet as a nut! I mostly cycle to work, so it’s used at the weekend to get around in, take dog out etc. Don’t be have to worry about it getting scratched or dented as it owes me sod all. Like most of us I appreciate a nice car, it’s the paying for it I don’t like!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Can anyone recommed a cheap car for wintertime use etc? I don't use cars much during the summer. Budget? Lets say 5 grand

12. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I’m still using my old shitter VW Jetta (not bad actually). Thing honestly won’t die.

It’s in there somewhere
    656D4E1B-1A81-4D76-865B-354EAA47C7BC.jpeg

Used to be into my nice cars and have had more than a few. Now I just find them to be money pits and have my bike for shits n giggles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dainesefreak

Depends what you want to use it for??

14. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

I have a Toyota Yaris as my commuter car and Vauxhall Zafira as the family car. We want to get rid of the Zafira soon and go back to a Nissan Qashqai which was great.

15. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

To get to work , shops etc. Don't think i want to drive around in a van that i maybe use for its purpose 2-5 times a year.
    Don't really need any performance either, but basic equipment is nice.

16. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Jetta is not bad i recon, what engine do you have in yours? Personally i think VW / Audi makes the most unreliable engines there is. beeing in the car industry you see alot

17. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi I find in that bracket some of the French offerings Ie Peugeot and Citroen you can get a lot of car for your money like a 308 usually bomb proof diseal engines and easy to work on....,failing that Toyota avensis Spring to mind not trendy makes but good value...

18. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Hate french cars haha :D They are so sloppy to drive

19. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

I was just going down the value route both my kids like there's I agree they are plodders but practical.....add anther 50k to your budget and a jag f type or go to 85k and get a nice Range Rover svr made in England and go like stink..

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. dainesefreak

If you can cope with another VAG car, Fabia vRS?