What camera to buy ? Any about

Discussion in 'Photography' started by lukecairns, Mar 21, 2014.

1. lukecairns

lukecairns New Member

Guys.....

I do alot of photography ....... recently sold my Nikon D3200 as i overcome wat it could do .... I want to turn to the "Darkside" of canon..... keep looking at the 7D .... any recommendations or thoughts ?
    Here are a few from my nikon

IMG_0699.jpg IMG_1409.jpg

2. Si.

Si. God Like

Depends on the lenses.

If you have heavily invested money in Nikon lenses, then stick with Nikon imo, it's a costly change if you have.

There's rumours of a new 7D mk2 coming out, so maybe wait.?

You want to stay with crop, or eventually go full frame? This will effect your lense choice to, as Canon EFS lenses will work on crop only, but Canon EF lenses work on both.

I went full frame to a canon 5D mk3, but had to buy EF lenses to use, sold my crop canon on to recoup some dosh.

3. lukecairns

lukecairns New Member

I would love the 5diii but as yet i cant afford it ! Would love to go full frame ... looked at te 6D, As my orignal kit was not the greatest i sold it as a bulk - not too fussed about buying second hand

4. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

I've got a D3100 and nowhere near its potential.Need to get some lessons in me thinks.Good pics Luke.

5. lukecairns

lukecairns New Member

What sort of thing you need to/ want to know ? Alwas happy to help out

6. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Most things I can do,think I need some bigger lenses though.Any bigger lenses you'd recommend?

7. lukecairns

lukecairns New Member

do you shoot manual ? I always shoot manual as you can more creative .....My shots were all done with a £200 Sigma 70-300mm Lens ! been saving for a while for decent kit... These shots were with the camera ...... long shutter time... ISO100 F8 i beleive photo3.JPG photo.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Once upon a time Canon had it all their own way with their top end DSLRs. Since Nikon started the D4 family, things have redressed themselves somewhat. There's a greater parity in the keen amateur/pro parts of both ranges now. I've just bought a DSLR that's actually smaller and lighter than my bridge compact.

But as Si says, glass is everything.

9. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Shooting Manual now,just got to get out n about more.:)

10. lukecairns

lukecairns New Member

yeah that's it ! Even shot things indoors -- try the water drip shots [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrB

MrB God Like

you dont always have to have the latest all singing all dancing to get the results. My 8 year old D80 with kit lens can produce some good pictures.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Unless you have already invested in lenses then it's well worth considering a Mirrorless system as they are much lighter to carry around, plus there are other advantages such as a live view in the screens and pocket sizes lenses.
    Look up some of the Panasonic G-Series cameras and see what you think as a lot of pro's are selling their full sized kit in favour of the portability of a Mirrorless camera.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm a bit hung up on the EVF/optical viewfinder thing. Most EVFs are dark, low contrast and slow to update, regardless of frame rate promises. But they do benefit from wysiwyg. Optical ones are brighter, better contrast, they never lag but are, of course, not what the camera records. My new Canon is penta mirror, so no prism. It's supposed to be not as bright but so far I've not noticed.

One thing I cannot live with is LCD only. Too much of an old dog for this particular fashion. I need the camera up against my face to stay steady these days.

An update on EVFs though. We've been playing with the new Fuji XT-1 and I have to say, the viewfinder is leagues ahead of any others I have ever seen. If this is what we can expect from next gen EVFs, that's going to be a game changer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Just on the EVF front, many now use OLED. Check out the LUMIX G6 or GH3.

15. Ritchierich

Ritchierich Well-Known Member

Not that heavy to stop you from getting a good shot.

Love using the Canon 7D with L series lens, excellent burst mode when combined was IA focus for the fast moving shots like motorcycle racing.
    Below are a selection of photos taken with said camera where I've had to carry it up climbing rock faces or on my back to BSB events on the Blade.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  16. lukecairns

lukecairns New Member

Good shots :)