What could you change for?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by tuktuk, Aug 15, 2017.

1. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Still got to be Panigale for me, any model in red or white, saving hard so maybe this could be the year that i say goodbye to Japanese reliability, but the looks of the Pani ☺

2. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

IMG_0011.JPG I've jumped ships. do miss my blade though, but the BM is just ace and got an excellent deal too

• Like Like x 9
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Wondered what bike you'd swapped the blade for. Love that can on it....looks nice & loud :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'll let the breakdown people know ;) :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Chris330

Chris330 Active Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

And fire brigade. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

After a lot of pondering in the brain - the reasoning is something like this:

Sport bikes are a bit too track focused for me really - gone, it seems, is the easier riding position of my old Blade. Track days are not really part of what I want a bike for (maybe once or twice).

So nakeds it is then:
    • Tuono - a naked race bike, it seems to me to still be a race bike with flatter bars.
    • S1000R - a real contender on price and overall package. Will definitely do the job required of it. Looks great, distinctive looking. However, it is coming to the end of its cycle and it will be upgraded next year or the year after. Not that happy with the dealership experience even when trying to buy a bike - they do not really do second hand bikes kind of thing. Also service costs are expensive.
    • Z900 RS (cafe) - the retro thing would probably start to bug me after a while - like living in a 70's movie ! also a bit underpowered.
    • MT-10 - a bit basic and emotionally not really much of an upgrade from my current GSX-S. Still with a basic digital screen, and kind of basic in the new top order of nakeds.
    • MT-10 SP - now we are talking. Price is very competitive - Ohlins electronic suspension, quick shifter, loads of smooth power, colour TFT dash, rider modes - loaded with adjustable settings. Can throw some soft luggage over the back of it, reasonable wind protection, looks ace, beautiful finish, sounds like a V4 but with the practicality of a Japanese inline-4 cylinder. Should not cost a fortune to service, should have good resale ability, good dealerships everywhere, reliable, something a bit special, a big upgrade from my current GSX-S

The dealership have given me a firm offer for my GSX-S and they will will put the finance application in on Monday for the SP - and if approved they will order one - how cool is that !

Result, top bananas ! :)

#67 Mattie660, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  8. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

The reason why we love this forum is because of the Fireblade. I have had a Panigale and a GSXR 1000. I was never comfortable with either and couldn’t wait to get a Honda back in my garage.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Indeed.
    I did 18,000 miles in 2 years on my old 2015 Fireblade - it looked great in HRC colours. Some big trips to Assen, Mugello, Misano, Aragon, and the TT - loved the riding position, didn't need to change a thing on it from new - not a thing. Wore the original tyres out, never touched the "mapping" the suspension or the brakes. Even the stubby exhaust looked all right.

It pootled along just as easily with the slowest speeds and the finest throttle openings, and then just as easily do xxx mph !!
    It balanced beautifully round corners - I felt almost as if I could take my hands off the bars once it was laid into a corner as it was so balanced and poised - although I never did !

Great bike. My worry is that the EU are effectively trying to put an end to the petrol engine though ever tighter and tighter restrictions and bikes like my 2015 Blade are already a thing of the past.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Agree. Even though I bought an MV F4, I still came back to Honda for my 'special' bike.

Also agree. I am on record on this forum as saying that I believe the Blade's life is all but over. Honda need to inject fresh appeal to the sports market, in the same manner it has done with the new CB1000R - save for that horrid numberplate/tail light holder. If ever there was a job for R & G, there's one right there!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spartan Andy

Spartan Andy Active Member

It happened, I got my New 2018 R1M :D,

I was a little concerned at first with all the new techo aids, flyby throttle and selectable power modes,
    Did not take long to get used to it, Find the bike very smooth and easy to ride in London traffic in the lower power modes.
    Have not tried full track mode yet as still running in.

Attached Files:

#71 Spartan Andy, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, the first few days are spent with more head in the Owner's Manual than on the bike!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Spartan Andy

Spartan Andy Active Member

'War & Peace' comes to mind, Lost the plot after a couple of hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

I’m going through a phase at the moment (which I’m sure we all have from time to time) of getting a little disillusioned with having a sports bike for the road.

With the weather picking up I have had a few blasts out and during which I think I got pulled out on by tractors and cars maybe a dozen times. It really kills the enjoyment.

I’ve been thinking about changing for something like a Africa Twin Adventure Sport or a Monster 1200R.

2 very different machines.

Am I mad?
    E687461F-32D9-425D-9CF6-E6C277CE9D43.jpeg
    6E12AD8C-9FAA-47E2-BA34-1061C8F0A15C.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep. Bang on. Those two will certainly scare away the tractors . . .:D:D

16. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

Haha. I was thinking in terms of a more relaxed riding position and improving my peripheral vision.

Both very different bikes in terms of geometry and displacement but both ultimately more ‘useable’ on the roads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Totally agree gcon45, I do a lot of miles both commuting and play and the roads where I live are getting worse every year, I really enjoy my blades power and handling but it’s getting harder to use.
    I have been looking at the 1290 super duke, probably not the most sensible bike but more sit up and a little taller so more relaxed riding position.
    Just not sure on the build quality or if there is any niggles as still a new bike.

• Like Like x 1
  18. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

I think maybe my sportbike days are behind me. I bought a Husqvarna SMR 511 on impulse the other day, just as a fun bike, not as a replacement for the blade at all.

Been riding it for a couple of days, and sitting upright has really reignited my riding passion. Im sorry, but on a sportbike you are cramped, ass hurts and on a 1000cc machine you can not have fun within legal limits, it is just a fact. On the Husky, it is tons of fun within the speed limit and even tho it is a hardcore supermoto, i think its more comfertable than my blade.

Think the blade will be replaced for a MT10SP or KTM 1290 Super Duke R to be honest. Have been looking at the MT09 aswell. Do i really need that much power on the street?

Considering getting a track bike aswell, as track is where its at with sportbikes imo.

19. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

The KTM you will probably go even quicker they do look trick ....my mate has just bought a 390 as he wants to slow down and feel like he is taking the bike for a ride not the other way round , I never had him down for a KTM 390.....

20. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

I think a Superbike can be fun but can easily get you in trouble with the law. Putting my Blade back on the road but will prob still use it more on track. After testing a Z900RS I could easily be tempted by something that doesn’t egg you on to go fast, but it’s still got nearly as much power as my old 7R so you can still get past everything. They’re about 10k new thought, must be getting old but I think a lot of bikes are pretty expensive now. :)

• Agree Agree x 1