What could you change for?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by tuktuk, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Very impressive - a bit out of my league :D

I might change the pads to EBC HH - that worked out well on the GSX-S. But the first order is just to work out how to secure a 50 L bag, or thow-over set of panniers for a trip to the Le Mans MotoGP. Should be easy enough.

2. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

It arrived - at last - no childish impatience or anything !!

Yamaha MT-10 SP , top-tastic !

showroom condition MT 10.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

After seeing one in the flesh on Wednesday evening I would change for the 2018 Fireblade in red, with a long super bike Akrapovic. Or the Fireblade SP2. I don’t know why but not really bothered about the SP1.

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Now that really is naked! Will be a great ride though.

The 2018 is a good bike and there are a few on here who would vouch likewise. We could easily start a debate about the merits, or otherwise of the 2018 Fireblade/SP/SP2, but that is not my intention. Each will suit the owner's own purpose - and budget. But your (dessp2) thought process about the differences might be common.

The SP is sort of stuck in the middle. Perhaps a nicer colour scheme than the Winning Red, with the added touches of Ohlins electronic suspension and gold wheels. So, you're paying an extra 4,000 for that. Could be hard to justify.

The SP2 on the other hand, at nearly 7,000 over the base Fireblade price, does not (in my mind) offer an extra 7,000 quid of value. (Note that I speak as an SP2 owner). Sure, you get the trick motor (bigger valves/forged pistons etc) but can we really use/appreciate that on the road? Forged lightweight wheels and titanium tank and exhaust are good - but do they make the bike a BETTER bike than the basic Blade? Hardly. My view is that we are paying most of that 7,000 for the exclusivity of a limited production. BUT, that exclusivity is only a benefit IF the bike holds its value. THAT remains to be seen.

I will say though, (as I have said before) that the SP2 is a magnificent ride. The exhaust roar after the flap opens at 4,000rpm is unbeatable by Akras or Yoshis etc. Remember, this 'standard' exhaust is failed at many UK track days. It's handling is spot on and its looks good - but in no way outstanding. I would encourage any one to buy one, although I haven't ridden any other current 1 litre bikes to offer a comparison.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Happy with my Sp but I can only imagine how good the current rsv4 must be so if I was going to change I would try the rsv4 first.

Test rode the 2013 rsv4 factory one of the best things I have ridden in 36 yrs only thing that stopped me was lack of dealer network near me.

6. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

I've got the 2017rsv4 mega bit of kit

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Out on the Ducati V4S on Saturday will report back my thoughts....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Been out on the V4s and it is in a different league,,,,it should be for 24k but I am tempted....the way it drives like a twin with low down grunt but then spins up like a inline 4 it is the fastest bike I have been on.....a event and has made me feel I would want to ride it at every opportunity, it was more comfortable and feels special got back on the blade which felt slow....100cc difference ...30kg lighter and it shows shouldn't of ridden it as now I am going to have to sell a kidney...the TFT dash spins up like a PlayStation . Looks like I'm going to the red side....

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Right then just been into a Honda dealer can have a 2018 sp1.....0% £500 deposit contribution over 3 yrs pcp...trade my 2014 HRC in and £63 a month! Ducati V4s was £231 a month test ride on SP1 on Saturday looks like I could be staying with the big H.....

10. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Stick with Honda and at £63 a month bargain my daughters mobile phone bill is more than that ha ha.

And before you get told off like I did there’s no such thing as an sp1 not unless you go back to 2002 ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Sounds like a no-brainer. The Duke's financing is way out of proportion to the Blade. Doesn't make sense to me. Saturday's looking good for you then. You're quite fortunate to have a dealer with a demo SP; I didn't think there's too many available. Standard Blade, no probs, but not the dearer ones. If you do the deal, screw them for a tail tidy. Plenty of money in those deals!!

A man on the ball. Very true. All of Honda's documentation and official current 'Supersport' brochure categorise the bikes on as 'SP' and 'SP2'. Goodness knows where or how the designation of SP1 came about. Naive media maybe?:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Don't worry Nigelrb I will be screwing them right down there price 19770 fowlers doing them for 18490 so will want them to match and my blade trade in to begin with a 7......and a tail tidy.....hopefully I will enjoy the test ride....

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Looking forward to my test ride on the sp1 on Saturday now found a dealer that can do one for 17460.....I hope I like it...

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That's a good price, Wozza! I think dealers are scrapping to sell the bigger bikes, although a Triumph dealer close to me seems to be churning out a lot of triples and bobbers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

A few pages back I said a r1 that’s why I pick up the bmw s1000rrsport tomorrow doh

• Like Like x 1
  16. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Blade is up for sale, KTM 1290 Super Duke R here i come.

• Like Like x 2
  17. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Be interested to see how the bike goes mate, will you be putting miles on it or a Sunday toy?

18. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Im buying one in July, and i am going to run her in (1000km) and then im straight heading from Norway to Netherlands on it. Me and my brother are going to do a trip togheter.

Planning on commuting everyday, like i did with the blade :)

19. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Had the test ride this morning on the Sp1 had it for a good couple of hours .....way lighter and stiffer than my 2014 felt great agile and confidence to push it ....had it in mode 1 setting probably would just keep it in this setting....
    Had a GP yoshi can on so sounded great although I think I will go for the acropovic...slip on the one like on the WSB bikes but they drill a thread in as it has no foot rest hanger ....but I think looks good.....need to have a go on Aprilla and R1.....then will make my mind up

• Like Like x 1
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wozza, the pillion threads are there, they're just blanked off. Akras have a carbon hanger that screws into those threads. See pic:

Pillion Threads.jpg