What did you do to your bike today???

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Benn The Pig, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Forgot I had left a workshop towel on the chain, went about 2 foot before coming to an abrupt halt with the towel firmly mullered around the front sprocket and everything wedged as tight as a drug smugglers rear end in an Istanbul jail.

Sheer temper had the wheel out, after having to release the adjusters right back, and some persuasion on the axle to budge, then the gear change linkage off, sprocket cover off, remove all shredded towel, and everything back on in around 15 mins, fecking sweating buckets in 30 degree full sun.

I don’t like Monday’s

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bloody hell. It's not so much the problem of the towel, it's the bollocking we give ourselves for being so stupid!! I hate those sort of situations.:rolleyes:

Other good info here too, because if I ever decide to 'turn' I'm heading straight for Istanbul jail.:cool:

3. dave the rave

dave the rave Active Member

I've done stupid stuff like that before! It's funny when you hear about some one else. I've always kept mine quiet

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

I've notice my right hand side crash bung has rotated. And being ocd,this was an issue for me. So I went to straighten it today. But the bolt didn't feel right when I undid it. So I had a quick peek and found that whoever fitted them,has dropped the spacer. So I have a free floating engine to frame fixing. I've looked on the parts catalogue and it's in the picture.but not listed as a part. So I'll have to visit my local dealer to see if I can order one. 20180717_125505.jpg

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ironic you mention that, BB. When I bought my RR4 back in March, I removed the lower fairing to do some serious detailing, and to remove the bulbous bungs. When I dropped the fairing a damn spacer was just rolling around. At first I didn't have a clue what it was or where it was from until I had a good look around with the torch.

Maybe we had the same imbecile fit our bungs! To me, a clear case of 'couldn't give a stuff' about someone else's bike, because there's no way known a person would be so negligent with their own machine.

6. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

So my spacer turned up today. So I pulled the crash bung off only to find he had put the spacer on the outside.between the frame and the bung. Numpty 1531935217960287046262611326041.jpg

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think it must be sprocket week (ref: @Kentblade post above)

This afternoon I was cleaning chain and rear sprocket on my NS400R. All going pretty much routine until I started my usual polishing the nuts and bolts with Mr Sheen. One of the sprocket nuts spun in my fingers, as did the next and the friggin' next . . .

Turned out that 6 of the 7 nuts were loose, saved only by them being the nylon lock nut type. The previous weekend I'd given the bike a 'reasonable' workout (approx 80 mph on a private road) along with rapid acceleration. I was just staggered that the one bolt held it in place without the whole thing shearing off. Needless to say I've taken my torque wrench to it!

Doing an all-over inspection now. Bleedin' side stand bolts were loose also. I remember this can be a legacy of buzzing two strokes, but the previous owner was either negligent, didn't have a torque wrench, or both.

Perhaps this might be a timely reminder to those buying used bikes (@Mac2501 ) to fully check nuts and bolts before hairing off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Night mare. The threads picked up when I was fitting it. The bolts never been that far in. It locked up when I tried to take it out. Had a strop ..Had a beer.. then attacked it again. Had to recut the threads. I was a little worried as it screws in to the block. But it's sorted now. I have a straight crash bung. All so fitted some new grips and the gear shaft thingy. 20180718_201546.jpg 20180718_201620.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Gear shaft thingy looks quite discrete. I might buy the next one available and see what I reckon.

Friggin' R & G. Why must they plaster their logo so LARGE over everything they sell?:rolleyes: (And that's coming from a guy who polishes the stickers on his swing arm!)o_O

10. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Filmed my rear suspension at work ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

All ways check your nuts. Or if you can afford it...get someone else to do it for you :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Very active. There's more ups and downs than a Love Island night scene!:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

you don't realise the work the rear is doing , and the strain going threw it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Ordered some braces for my leathers. Had fixed the calorie issue they had and they are now so loose they try and make me look like a gansta when I walk without the jacket being zipped to the trousers:eek:

For the benefit of @nigelrb who may not know the look :p
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you going to grow a dirty long hairy beard and a big fat belly to compliment them :p

16. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Haha if I still had the big fat belly I wouldn't need them :oops:

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Of course I know the look!

I have a full length mirror in my bedroom, but I'm more for the hipster look :

Hunk.jpg

18. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Off shopping!!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Chelsea78

Chelsea78 New Member

I dreamed about it :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member