What did you do to your bike today???

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Benn The Pig, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Busy bee in garage today.
    Forks back in, plugs changed, both air filters replaced, rads on, coolant in, calipers stripped and pistons and dust seals cleaned and greased, and then the worst job as always on a V4, carb balancing, the clever little Japanese engineers who decided to put the balance screws in the middle of the V, and make them virtually inaccessible, then for a right good crack make 3 of the vacuum take offs just as inaccessible, need a good kick in the bollox, it’s the job I hate doing on these bikes, an contorted hour later and a leak on the fuel tap of my aux fuel tank the carbs were finally balanced, coolant bled, and tank back on.
    Should be finished tomorrow and ready to ride for the weekend.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

So after my self pat on the back yesterday, just thought I’d put the preload and rebound back to where they started and bugger one of the rebound adjusters had stopped clicking, a session in the garage to midnight revealed the culprit, one tiny little garter spring had snapped on the preload adjuster when I was putting the fork bolt cap back on the damper cartridge adjuster, was lucky to find the ball bearing on the garage floor.
    As expected non serviceable item from Honda and Showa.
    Tracked down a supply today and ordered a couple, just hope my measuring stick was accurate o_O

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Had to finally admit defeat, although I got a garter ring to fit, the adjustment never felt right, and on stripping down the adjuster, I could see advanced wear on the brass assembly, so had to bite the bullet and go with new ones, albeit OEM are not an option, long discontinued although I turned up some NOS at €1100 per leg, love me bike but not that much, but had to go with a bit of bling, not really my style, but left with very few options.
    1491EDCE-59F4-42F0-9DC7-827C68370961.jpeg 0CA6BA88-F2B8-450F-A2C8-675603BC0908.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Crawling over the finishing line, Saturday was rebuilding day, all that’s left now is a deep clean of the inside of the plastics, and talking Mrs KB in to spending sometime in the garage to crawl around taking measurements so I can set up the front and rear shocks.
    8B78176E-2924-437F-93D0-AE51555CFA41.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  5. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Inching along, 3 stage polish and then 2 coats of Surreal ceramic wax on wheels and each panel, just the tail section to do, slow process, about 8 hours of polishing so far, amazing how 30 year old plastics really scrub up so well, so much nicer having a metal tank to pamper over than the modern plastic covers.
    89F798F7-FF45-4D9A-B9A0-72AB71D03365.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  6. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

That's looking really well.And have to agree with you re the metal tanks.:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1