What fast road -trackday tyres ?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Remal, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Julian

Julian Active Member

multi traitor your back :) long time no see, how's life on the Beemer ? had a test ride on the 2015 model yesterday..seriously,seriously impressed, funds won't allow at the moment but come March 2016 i could be coming to the dark side.

as for tyres managed 4k out of a pair of sportsmart 2's very good tyre for quick road riding, having some m7rr's fitted tomorrow as everyones raving about em !

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I'm about lol the S1000RR has gone to a new home it was great but needed to free up some cash for a new car so now have a Superduke 990 to blast about on :) the BMW was an incredible bike though (as is the blade before I start a forum war lol)
    Next year think I will try the new s1000rr and new R1 as both are getting great reviews unless Honda pull there finger out with a new blade !! Must admit the 1290 SD is looking good as well ?

Sorry off topic I have heard the M7RR are awesome as well and loved the K3s on track so don't think it will be a bad choice I just love the PR4s have another set on the SD and they just inspire so much confidence :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Andrew Penson

Andrew Penson Member

I have SP's on at the moment, brilliant tyres on the track, not much cop in the wet. Going to try the racetec K3's purely because it's claimed they are made in the same factory but come in a lot cheaper

4. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Go to tyreleader.co.uk I have used them for both K3 and PR4 and saved a load :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Peter

Peter Active Member

Thank you for the feedback Guys.

If I was commuting to the office, I would definitely go for PR4... however, given that: a) I go for evening/weekend blasts only when the weather permits, b) do couple of trackdays per year, c) do one long-trip per year, I'm tempted to try M7RR, or to stay with D211. Any comments on the latter?

6. foenix

foenix Active Member

We are in summer, try the Racetec.

Here after a little coffee this morning, just perfect.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. nozdog

nozdog Active Member

Just a quick one I've been running Diablo Rosso Corsa on my track which I really Like but wouldn't mind trying the new Metzeler RaceTec RR K3.
    Anyone used them on Track just wanted see what there like compared to the DRC's.

8. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

M7RR ... Had an interesting conversation today about sport touring Tyres on a Fireblade with a knowledgable tyre guy that's spent a lot of time with tyre tech.

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

What he say?

10. Regenwulf

Regenwulf Active Member

Blimey, this is a long thread!

At the risk of being told just to go back and read it all, can I ask a question?

I have a rr07 and my first track day is coming up at Magny Cours. I ride normally on Pilot Road 4's because so they were so well reviewed here and, let's face it, you don't need race rubber for the road. They seem great to me.

I will need something more focused for track though, and as it'll just be for track (I will swap back to the Pilots afterwards), I can go proper track/race I reckon. I won't be using tyre warmers, so I guess that rules out slicks. So then, in case there is any different thinking for the 07 generation bikes, what tyres would others recommend, and at what pressures for a hot (August) track day?

Cheers,

RW

11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

The new metzeler racetech RR's are superb and will be great for track work.

Pressures your looking at 26 32 HOT

Are you riding down hence no warmers??

Personally if you are and with no warmers I'd still use the pr4's unless you are at the sharp end of fast they are still more than enough for track day imo.

12. Regenwulf

Regenwulf Active Member

That's great, thanks, and in fact I had been thinking Metzelers myself. We'll be taking a van but no warmers because I don't have any (it's possible that my mate does but I'm assuming not).

I'm sure you're right about the PRs being fine for the track, and as my first track day I think it's unlikely that I'll be at the sharp end of fast(!) but I figure that it costs me effectively nothing but a tyre swap to put dedicated rubber on as I would be wearing through the PRs otherwise anyway.

I had a look at the RRs on Demon Tweeks. Can anyone explain what the K1, K2 and K3 options are? DT have the rear in K3 or the front in any of the three options? Anyone know the difference?

13. richie

richie Active Member

What about the guy Martin special edition. I'm in need of new tyres (for road use only) and was thinking about a set of these bad boys. What's your thoughts...

14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

makes sense mate, if you can swap easy enough.

if you can grab some warmers off someone I would (specially in a van) as you will reduce heat cycles and stop the tyres being fooked quick... but not the end of the world if your happy to go out and build up pace etc.

the K's are the compound mate, k1,2 for track use, k3 for road and track.

K1 rear on hot days, k2 front.

other way round for not so warm... http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/products/tyres-catalogue/Racetec-INTERACT-K0-K1-K2.html scroll down to tech bit ;)

try oponeo and tyreleader for price check :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Regenwulf

Regenwulf Active Member

Just a quick report back.

2 x Racetec RRs K3s on my 06 Blade around Magny Cours: tyres were excellent and didn't move an inch. Totally rock solid in the face of my hamfisted treatment! One lap to warm up and then straight on it!

Anyone learned in the dark arts of tyre-reading want to share a view on this?

11891114_10152923734186782_3549622741839520891_n.jpg

16. nozdog

nozdog Active Member

Regenwulf can I ask what tyre pressures you are using hot and did you use tyre warmers?
    Got two sets of these tyres for my Almeria trip in October cheers Alex

I emailed Metzeler and they suggested 33 front 27 rear hot of the track

#396 nozdog, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  17. Regenwulf

Regenwulf Active Member

Spoke with Metzeler's technical guys directly about this before heading off. Per their recommendations I went (cold) 10psi down on road standard, which I think means 26 front 32 rear. Worked well for me.

No tyre warmers - we had some with us but it wasn't easy to get to power (didn't have a gennie) and it was no hassle getting them to temp with a single lap. Track temp was not especially warm as it was cloudy and very wet at times. Note that I didn't try these in the rain - Troy Corser himself said it was difficult on anything other than full wets and I wasn't going to argue with him! All fine in the slightly damp.

18. nozdog

nozdog Active Member

Sorry to ask again but I think you have that the wrong way round 26 front 32 rear? do you mean 32 front 26 rear hot?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Regenwulf

Regenwulf Active Member

Nope - higher pressure in the rear. Standard pressures are 36 front and 42 rear cold. Ten less for track

20. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

Hell NO.

I run Metzlers and they are DEFINITELY 34 Front, 26 Rear, HOT for Racetechs, RRs & slicks (comp K slicks are 28 Rear).

(Although I find 32 fr & 27 rr work better on my R6 - personal preference)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1