What is better than Shoei XR1100 ?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by duck, Sep 17, 2012.

1. duck

duck New Member

I currently have a Shoei XR1100 and considering getting a new crash helmet (probably start of next year), I am looking for suggestions on what would be an improvement over the XR1100.

So my question is:

Has anyone owned an XR1100 and changed to a different lid and found it an improvement or conversely found the new lid not as good in areas such as:

1. visibility (angle of view through visor)
    2. aerodynamics (buffeting and noise level)
    3. visor system (fitting/removing, pinlock)
    4. Ventilation
    5. comfort/weight

If I can narrow the choice down a bit I can then go and try some on rather than trying every one in the shop, also don't want to find one that is comfortable in the shop that is actually rubbish on the bike.

Thanks

2. stylo

stylo Active Member

Shark Race R Pro. Bang for buck.
    Ive never come across a "quiet" helmet. Every single helmet I have or tested is noisey hence I always wear earplugs.
    Most of the time you will get buffeting from a helmet with a rounded rear(rump :) ) that hasnt any spoilers or is not squared off etc.

I have Shark RSR2, RSI and a brace of AGV GP-Techs. AGV is bloody comfortable and excellent ventilation but squashes me ears when putting on and squshes me face after.
    Snug actually.

My fave is my RSR2, when I have space for more helmets my next purchase is the Race Pro R.

3. duck

duck New Member

My last lid was an RSR2 Carbon and it was light and comfortable and I liked it (but dropped it onto concrete..woops).

The Shoei XR1100 has much better side vision (I guess the opening you look through is larger to the sides) and has much less buffeting, comfort is similar to the RSR2.

I also always use ear plugs, I was linking aerodynamics/buffeting/noise under the same area as I guess getting one of them close to perfect would also improve the others.

4. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

had a few Arai lids but really like my current one which is also an xr1100.

I may give the X-Lite x-802 a go next though a I really like the Lorenzo rep.

5. Moily

Moily Active Member

Probably the best way to look at it is to identify what would be worse, and eliminate those. After moving from other Shoeis and Arais to the XR-1100 the things I'd definitely want in my next helmet would be:

1. Spoiler - I found the move to a helmet with a spoiler a revelation, as it feels so much better at motorway speeds; really keeps your head rock-still.
    2. Good visor aperture - the extra visibility is something I couldn't do without now.
    3. Easy visor release - never going back to an Arai-style visor system again!

Once you've identified your own list (which you have already thought about, from your original post) then you can knock off loads. The rest boil down to head shape and fit which will require a shop visit or two (or three, or four!)

6. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

I m very pleased with my x spirit

7. Si.

Si. God Like

I have a roof Daytona as a second lid. It's whisper quiet, but a little heavy.

8. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I love my Nexx XR1R Carbon, It's only downfall is that it's a little noisy but earplugs sort that out :D
    CARBON NEXX HELMETS

9. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

Ahoy my aquatic, airborne type friend!

I too have an xr1100. It's 2 years old and slightly scratched in a wee spill. I'm replacing it with a Nexx xr1r (carbon fibre!) from ForMotorcycles. It's got points 1,3 (new visor release system as of a month or two) and 5 covered.

10. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

Nexx XR1R Carbon
    1. Fantastic visibility
    2. Noise is more than my old Shoei but no buffeting at all, even at over 130mph, which is impressive.
    3. New visor quick realise system has come out (i don't have it :() which apparently has also reduced wind noise.
    4. Ventilation is ok but not the best.
    5. Carbon fibre so weighs knack all, additional padding inserts to taylor fit it to your noggin.

Your not allowed to buy the white/red/carbon as I own it and therefore have dibs on that design ;)

11. lambeth longshanks

I think you'll find I have dibs on that design actually. Cos I said 'Dibs to infinity and beyond'. Which beats everything obviously. Sorry.

12. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

Nope, I've already got one and have had it since before you joined the forum and your thinking about getting one, therefore I win :p

13. duck

duck New Member

Thanks for the interesting replies, the Nexx has got me interested and I will endeavor to try one on when next passing near Helmet City (if they have them in stock).

lambeth longshanks - I would appreciate it once you have the Nexx if you could post your impressions as you will be moving directly from the XR1100 and will spot any plus/minus points between them.

Thanks

14. duck

duck New Member

Just checked and helmet city don't stock Nexx, thats a pity !

Anyone know who is the importer/seller for Nexx in the UK ?

15. phantom

phantom Active Member

use my dads xr1100 sometime for the work run but prefer my xlite x- 802
    it is slighty more noiser but I dont mind as the comfort is far better in the 802 IMHO
    have the lorenzo moon one and would think about getting another if I got it at the
    right money just to keep as it looks trick.

16. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I got the shoei xspirit 2 which I can't fault, it's light, really well vented, has emergency tabs on the bottom if you gave a crash that emergency services are trained to use that pull all pads out so they don't have to wiggle your lid off like they do, it just pulls straight off.
    Nice shape too it
    Only negative was the price, I think it cost me just over £700 but that's when first out, I think they are around £600 now

17. Dave L

Dave L New Member

The HJC R-PHA10 is very light, quiet and has a great looking Spies replica. Same fit as a Arai so you lot with Shoei heads may struggle with fit.

18. lambeth longshanks

I shall do, Duck. I'll not be riding for a wee while as I'm recovering from a broken leg. I'll not have an answer for you until at least December and possibly well into the new year.

As for you, Icarus, I think we shall have to text each other before riding to make sure we don't meet. I simply cannot put up with a fashion faux pas.

19. mpgscott

mpgscott New Member

I've just swapped my XR1000 for a Arai GT Viper and am very happy with the new lid.

20. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

If you haven't got matching white, black & red boots, gloves & leathers then it is a faux pas! :D