What OIL are you running ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by BladeWitch, Aug 3, 2013.

1. BladeWitch

BladeWitch New Member

hey souleh - unless your blade is very old, thrashed and has a lot of miles on it - use the 10w30 as per your owners manual for your particular blade model - when a bike gets old and the engine tolerances get bigger, thats when you go up to 10w40 and after that a 10w50 so as to keep the engine tight - and yeah, its bloody hard to get truth out of the oil enigma.

2. Souleh

Souleh Active Member

Engine was only built in May so its a bit fresh still. Sounds a plan though, will buy a barrel and stick to it :)

3. BladeWitch

BladeWitch New Member

is this written in the cbr1000rr 2012 / 2013 owners manual phantom ?

4. phantom

phantom Active Member

total rubbish, so my local dealer in invalidating peoples warranties then?
    they sell service kits with a genuine filter and HP4S oil.they said its recommended for all super-sport bikes from 2006 on.
    also had a look at the manual and my oil container
    oil says .... SAE 10W-30 -API SL - JASO MA
    manual says ...... weight/viscosity 10w30 JASO T 903 standard is an index for engine oils for 4-stroke motorcycle engines.
    There are two classes: MA and MB.Oil conforming to the standard is labeled on the oil container.Use only MA classification engine oil for
    your motorcycle.Do not use API SJ oils.

5. phantom

phantom Active Member

no official honda dealer

6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Won't make any difference it will just mix with semi and do its job(lubricate the engine). I wouldn't worry about it mate just run it till service is due and change to the oil type you want.

The fully synthetic oil of old could have given you problems in early days of its life cycle but not anymore, you can actually go back and forth between the two without any issues these days.

The fireblade (along with most engines) will quite happly run using 10w-40 oil too, the main difference is the effective hot running range of which the 10w-40 gives the hotter ambient operating temperature range but gives the same protection down the cooler ambient temperature range. There is a normally guide in almost all automotive manuals informing which oils will be suitable for which ambient tempature ranges.

Image below from the 2009 users manual.
    [​IMG]

#86 ShinySideUp, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BladeWitch

BladeWitch New Member

i found this might help us with the oil delema -

the owners operating manual for the CBR1000RR 2011-2013 states
    Engine Oil Viscosity & Classification = 10W30 or above API SG and JASO MA
    Engine Oil Type = Honda GN 4 or equivalent

but what does honda consider "equivalent" ?

CBR1000RR 2011-2013 Spec.jpg

JASO STANDARDS
    copy & paste from JASO MA and JASO MB classifications - oilspecifications.org

Modern motorcycles usually have the same oil lubricating the engine and the wet clutch. For this purpose most of the time the regular friction modified engine oils are not good enough. To make sure that the right oil is used motorcycle manufacturers usually require the oil to meet one of the JASO standards explained below.

The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
    ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
    ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3
    Furthermore, the motor oil's Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI), Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) and Stop Time Index (STI) should be within the following limits according to the JASO 904:2006 friction test:

JASO MA JASO MB
    Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI) ≥1.45 and <2.5 ≥0.5 and <1.45
    Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) ≥1.15 and <2.5 ≥0.5 and <1.15
    Stop Time Index (STI) ≥1.55 and <2.5 ≥0.5 and <1.55
    The JASO MA range is further divided into 2 distinct ranges - the JASO MA1 and JASO MA2 ranges - as follows:

JASO MA1 JASO MA2
    Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI) ≥1.45 and <1.8 ≥1.8 and <2.5
    Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) ≥1.15 and <1.7 ≥1.7 and <2.5
    Stop Time Index (STI) ≥1.55 and <1.9 ≥1.9 and <2.5
    If all three properties of a JASO MA oil fall within the limits specified as MA1 then the oil can be classified as a JASO MA1 oil. If all its properties fall within the limits of MA2 then it can be classified as a JASO MA2 oil. If some properties fall within the MA1 subcategory but others in MA2 then the product is simply a JASO MA product.

JASO MA
    Valvoline 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil 10W-40 and 20W-50
    Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

8. BladeWitch

BladeWitch New Member

ive written to honda australia about two things -

honda says to use 10w30 GN4 which is a light weight mineral oil or "equivalent" - the question to them is, is a fully synthetic thats the same weight 10w30 classify as equivalent ?

and

if a person runs fully synthetic oil, such as motul 300v 10w40, would they void their warranty ?

ok, so im waiting to hear back from them and ill let you know.

9. dogman

dogman Member

I had a 2007 vfr800 and in the owners manual it called for 10 w 40, my mate had a 2009 model which is exactly the same bike, and by then Honda had changed their spec to 10w30. Most people agree that manufacturers calling for lighter oils is largely driven by fuel economy and hence reduced emmissions since a lighter oil has less shear resistance and hence less engine friction.
    Honda is paranoid about engine emmissions.
    This may not necessarily be beneficial to engine longevity.
    I will be staying with a 10w40, but its not worth starting world war 3 over it

10. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Blade not sure where the dilemma is mate?

As stated both in previous posts and in that snippet u posted, Honda recommend 10w-30 oil or above ie 10w-40 oil that meets the API rating of SG (or better SJ is common in UK) and meet JASO MA specs.

The type Honda hg4 is a version of oil Honda has branded themselves buts castrol Power 1 will do fine as long as it meets the above specs.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you mate?:)

11. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

It may also have something to do with our emmensly hot summers we now have..........ehhh no wait that's not right. :D
    Ok the UK has had hotter ambient temps in the past so the oil capable of running in the hotter ambient temps is no longer required.

I would be interested to see if the same literature was altered for other parts of the EU such as Italy.

12. phantom

phantom Active Member

manual also says only use JASO MA (not MB) rated oils and do not use API SJ rated oils as they do not work with the
    fireblades slipper clutch.

13. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Phantom I know the API (American Petroleum Institute) specification S(x) was originally developed for cars which did cause problems when using this in bikes hence why the JASO MA spec was created by japanese bike manufactures but i was under the belief the the API S(whatever prefix) got superceeded and a vehicle that required SG for example could use SJ as it incorporate and in fact surpasses the requirements to meet SG spec.

Am I mistaken?

Opie oils lists castrol power 4t 10w-30 oil Jaso Ma and API SJ in the oil spec tab.
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-728-castrol-power-1-4t-10w-30-formerly-power-1-gps-semi-synthetic-motorcycle-4-stroke-engine-oil.aspx

#93 ShinySideUp, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. phantom

phantom Active Member

well from what I understand the SJ rated one is a extra low friction oil so unlike the
    others in the S category it cant be used. caster oils fall into the SJ slot

15. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

The below text is copied from one of opie oils technical sheets.

API (American Petroleum Institute) specifications are often seen on oil containers and they show the minimum standard of oil that can be used in an engine. You can't really use the API specifications to measure the quality of an oil as many of the top end ester based oils meet API SL rather than the latest API SM specification.
    S = Service - Petrol Engine Performance
    C = Commercial - Diesel Engine PerformanceA
    Petrol Engine Specifications
    SG - Introduced 1989 has much more active dispersant to combat black sludge.
    SH - Introduced 1993 has same engine tests as SG, but includes phosphorus limit 0.12%, together with control of foam, volatility and shear stability.
    SJ - Introduced 1996 has the same engine tests as SG/SH, but phosphorus limit 0.10% together with variation on volatility limits
    SL - Introduced 2001, all new engine tests reflective of modern engine designs meeting current emissions standards
    SM Introduced November 2004, improved oxidation resistance, deposit protection and wear protection, also better low temperature performance over the life of the oil compared to previous categories.

16. phantom

phantom Active Member

the sheet I read said use sg or sl not sh or sj
    but I'll be fecked if I can find it again(was a usa page)
    but my uk manual says use sg or higher and do not use
    sh rating.also Do not use non-detergent, vegetable, or
    castor based racing oils.

17. BladeWitch

BladeWitch New Member

oils aint oils

18. BladeWitch

BladeWitch New Member

got some interesting gossip from honda today - fellow came in with problems with this new blade - he ran fully synthetic - honda said the problem was the synthetic oil - the blade owner said to honda, put that in writing - they back down and he claimed on warranty - what honda was willing to share but not officially was there are problems with fully synthetic in the blades but that there was too much litigation with the synthetic oil companys if they kicked up a stink and it was cheaper for honda to just absorb the cost and fix the blokes blade.

i dont know - at the end of the day - i think its very hard for us to ever get a definitive answer to "whats the best oil" for our blades - it looks like it comes down to what you can get way with if you claim warranty and your oil experience gained, which might or might not come with expensive trials and tribulations.

19. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Well I changed my oil and filter on my 07 last week when I fitted the slipper clutch, the bikes only done 5500 miles.
    I used Shell 10w40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil as I use that in my other bike and can get it for £50 for 8 litres.
    The 'Blade seems a lot quieter now, the oil that was in was last changed by the dealer so I assume was the Honda stuff and looked very watery and thin when I drained it even though it was cold.

20. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I was in my local dealership who recently serviced my Blade as I couldn't be arsed this time :D I asked what oil they'd have put in my 2004 and they confirmed that it was the same stuff they put in everything. Motul Semi-Synth.