What's it cost?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Sossige, May 16, 2013.

1. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Mrs Soss and I had another discussion earlier about my getting another bike. I'd certainly like to get a Fireblade, having test ridden one (09) in the past - so I know that I like them!

I do however, want to go into the ownership experience with my eyes open as to the cost, ensuring that I don't bite off more than I can chew. Our finances aren't what they have been in the past, so I am being cautious!

If the finances stretch to it, I'd be looking to get a 2009 non-ABS bike ideally, as I'm not a fan of the engine casing colour on the 2008 (no offence to anyone with one intended, just a personal preference) and would like to try and avoid some of the oil burning issues!

I'm 37, passed test in 2008, 4 years NCB, no accidents or claims, IAM member, live in a reasonably safe area. Bike would be garaged overnight and kept secure (obviously don't want to discuss arrangements on a public forum) and I'd be looking for fully comp SDP and commuting - I guess about £400 is a reasonable guess for the insurance? When at work, the bike would be in a secure underground car park that not even the bravest of bike thieves would have a go at! :D

My Triumph cost a reasonable bit to service at main dealers and the bike had a reputation for going through consumables with gutso; although mine had so few mileage that I managed to escape the worst and the ultra-expensive valve check service! :eek: If I bought a Fireblade, then I'd hope to be able to avoid some main dealer costs by using good independent garages some of the time.

So, what sort of costs would I be looking at in general? I will need to replace my helmet at some point, but still have all my other kit - so I'm only concerned about the costs of running the bike itself.

Soss

2. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Insurance is a minefield, just use q few comparison sites to get a quote first.

Servicing can be cheap - plugs last till 30k and you can stretch valve check to 40 or 50 k

Oil changes can also be pushed a fair bit and k&n filter will help.

Touring tyres will help there and the bikes are good on fuel - 50 mpg nor uncommon on a run

• Like Like x 1
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Den we are of the same age, passed almost the same time and you have a little less NCB but I've never paid more than £500 for a new blade at a value of 11k. So your about right for insurance maybe much less. Maybe.

I bought my bike from thunder road Newport and since then its only been to JHS racing, independent for servicing. I've not paid more than £190 for a service. Yet on a 2011 blade.

I have seen 50mpg at 90mhp when touring Europe

Tax was £77 for the year.

And I know triumph costs for parts are often mor and servicing if you went to a main dealer.

The service on m blade I was informed was every 6 months or 4k. I don't do 4k a year so it only gets serviced every 12 months

I've not had any issues with my bike. It's been great to ride and own

And not cod me a huge amount

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Soss,

As noted no two insurnaces quotes are the same, but its fair with your stated profile to pay no more than the 300 mark.

Do not skimp on oil/filter changes, the single most important issue on the longevity of your engine.

The basic servicing issues, like oil/filter, brakes/brake fluid, air filter etc are very simple, and require just basic tools and very little knowledge. If you cannot do them already, teach yourself, it saves money. The rest is just part of bike onwership, ie cleaning, lubing, adjusting. Anything more complex to you, like plugs, headbearings etc, find a good indy.

The biggest costs normally if your commuting daily are tyres, pads and chains and fuel. The right tyre choice can run 6k+, pads front around 12k, rear nearly forever, quality chain if constantly lubed and adjusted 18k.

I average 50 mpg commuting, its about the norm for 08 onwards.

I get through 3 rear/2 fronts, 1 1/2 front pads and a chain a year so thats around £750 + £2300 fuel and £250/300 insurance and whatever road tax is., then about £150 oils and filters for around 18k ish mark.

Not cheap, but it saves me 2 hours a day of my life over using public transport, thats priceless!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Guys, thanks for the replies - especially those with cold hard figures!

I reckon my maximum mileage each year would be 5k, possibly less - so my figures would be 'pro-rata' in comparison to someone commuting every day.

Mrs Soss told me last night to "just buy a bike" (think she was getting fed up of my constant going on!). We've lent a bit of cash to a friend who was in need, so will wait for that to be paid back before buying anything.

:eek: I'm also considering a pre-cross plane R1 :eek:

6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Don't fall for that one, you need it in writing!

7. GSP

GSP Active Member

My fiance forced me to buy my most recent bike that I've just ordered... I wasn't going to do it out of guilt because we get married next year.

I'm 29, 4 years NCD, bike garaged (lots of other additional security), no claims or convictions and cheapest qoute on bikeinsurer was £600... when I called up the cheapest few insurers, most made assumptions and the final cost was actually £680.

The big one on insurance will be if they ask your commuting location, and it's somewhere like london if they ask where it will be stored during the day.

8. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Soss, I am the same age as you, live in a safe area and commute into London daily. I'm insured up to 20K Miles and with 7 year NCD I pay £230 fully comp SDP and commuting with no excess. As you said without a garage insurance would be too expensive. I was quoted £600 TPFT with an excess of £2000!

9. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

10. Villan

Villan Active Member

11. lambeth longshanks

There you go, Sossige. Now crack on! Get Firebladed up! These things don't buy themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Heh :)

I was on rest days today, but amazed at the lack of pre-owned bikes in dealerships at the moment - not just Honda dealers either!

13. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Hunts in Manchester have got loads, will deliver in uk for good price too - UK biggest blade supplier.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Allblade - are Hunts your local dealership? Do you pop in there often?

15. lambeth longshanks

Bransons in Yeovil had a pretty one when I popped in a couple of weeks ago.

Mike the salesman is a top chap. Got my previous bike off him. Helpful and professional. There's a new salesman there too (Mark?) who seemed good too.

They've got helmets too. Might be able to sort a deal out. Especially if you keep banging on about the smashing zx10's at the Kawasaki dealership over the road...

16. sinewave

sinewave God Like

17. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

18. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Know them very well - 2 miles from front door.
    If you see a bike you want / like I'll look Saturday , take pictures and give you a call to answer any questions.
    Like all dealers their PX can feel a little light but look at the overall package - they will give good discount on parts so if you want say a seat cowl, large hugger, venture sheild etc. they will bundle it into the deal etc.

Bought a brand new 0 mile R1 of them in December so yes really do know them well

• Like Like x 2
  19. lambeth longshanks

There you go, Soss. A man on the inside! No excuses now, sunshine.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

I would appreciate that Allblade, thank you! I'm working this weekend so wouldn't be able to get up there - in any case, it's not exactly on my doorstep either (~200 miles!) :eek:

I'm particularly interested in the 2009 HRC Blade that they have for £6695, and less so the 2010 HRC at £6895. I don't know whether they would do some deal of free delivery or a deal on accessories such as a tail tidy for the 2009 HRC to make it worth my while buying it from them at distance.

I don't have any part ex and would be financing the bike myself outright.

Soss