which bike

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Julian, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Julian

Julian Active Member

been on the lookout for a trackbike for quite some time now, before I splash my cash I'd appreciate some advice from the track riders of this forum.

In my mind I'm Valentino Rossi's mentor, in reality I'm a knobber that had 3 or 4 years (bad/lunatic) biking in my late teens, had a huge lay off and then got back into biking 4 years ago, time in the seat has boosted my confidence and made me quicker but I'm still a long way from where I'd like to be. I have a Ron Haslam premier day booked in April, I plan to go onto the elite day from there and maybe see if I can get some one to one tuition at my closest track (Castle Combe).

There's suddenly a lot of bikes appearing on the various forums/ebay, my question is what would be my best course of action ? I have the choice of a 2007 r6, 2006 zx6r (636) both fairly well specced coming in between £2.5-3.5k, or do I stick with what I know and feel comfortable with and get a newish cat b or c blade off the forums very own Yorkshiregooner for £5-6k.

I'm under no illusion that the bike and me will be hitting the dirt so do I go cheaper/less power until I reach a degree of riding I'm happy with, or stick with what I know and just curb my right hand a bit for a while (like that'll happen !)

thoughts please Gents, zx6r will be gone soon if I'm not quick !

2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

A Blade is an easy bike to ride quick.

I'd probably go for that for now.

3. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I know the Kwak you are looking at and and if you were to go for less cc's then that would be a good bet. Either that or a Gixxer 750 which is somewhere in between the classes.

As said above though a Blade is very easy to go fast on. Wither you could face the torment of a £6k bike sliding down the road though is something you would need to decide upon yourself.

4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Get anything that's track ready with some spares and wow's would be my first pointer buddy, you'd be amazed how much you can throw converting a road bike. And if it has proper suspension, then you are on a winner IMO.

As for which bike, I wouldn't worry too much as you can learn loads on any bike, but for what your looking at I don't think you can go wrong with an r6 personally. Best handling bike I've ever ridden, and plenty fast enough.... 08 onwards have better midrange mind, but it's stil a bit gutless but over 8 grand it's a blast!! Mine was good for 175 (indicated) on track obviously! :)

As also said though, a well sorted blade can still hustle with the newer bikes, and very useable....

Good luck with ya search.

5. phil

phil Active Member

I am starting with a zx6r and plan to move onto a blade on track in a year or two.

6. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I highly recommend an R6 2CO or 13S as a track bike. They're excellent on track and the 2007 model isn't that different from the 2015 model. I love my R6 2CO track/race bike (even if I did highside this year). As jimbo says, get a track ready bike with spare wheels and parts.

7. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Just ask Jimbo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Yes, but not so easy to pick up quick!

........................especially when ya avin' a lie down under neath it lol! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Lol!!

The kwaka's are big heavy things also though.... Luckily you managed to remove plenty before loading in the van. Along with ya mojo ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I just make it look easy! :rolleyes:

11. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

If you are new to track riding, then a 600 would be better suited to you. Riding a blade on the road is totally different to riding on a track. We have all ridden fast on the road, but when can you honestly say that you have braked as hard as you dare to throw your bike on its side and then full throttle away?.....you will be doing this turn after turn on a track for at least 20 mins, and its hard work at first. A 600 will be a bit lighter and more agile. You can also power out of corners without the fear of being high sided.
    The more track days you do, the better you will get, and your confidence will improve no end. What ever bike you get will give you more thrills than riding on the road!

Good luck with your search.....

Another idea is to hire a bike (I know focused events hire them) at a track day and see what bike gives you the biggest grin :)

12. RepsolRuss

RepsolRuss Active Member

R6 would defo be the way forward for a first track bike. 1000's are quite a handful if you're not used to them.

Book some time with an instructor too. Will put you on the right path straightaway :)

13. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I wouldn't say that

Less chance of high siding

14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I would!! Got to be a proper ham fisted monkey to high side an r6 mate lol

10/10 though ha

15. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

It was just the classic cars doing laps at lunch dropping oil/fuel/water on the track, gone off rear tyre, extreme lean angle, (insert generic accident excuse here) etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

All mixed with some ham fistedness lol...

Mate, if I'm honest my rear tyre was well off when mine happened.... Had a new one to go on too which made it more annoying. But we live and learn.... Reason the pros go out on fresh rubber ;) but I only have my self to blame as I didn't adjust, ride accordingly and I knew the tyre was off....

As for classic cars and oil, can't say as wasn't there, but can happen, as seen a few go down before on dumped oil and know alblade came a cropper as did couple others on the same corner....

Could be worse, I've just fecked it up a few times lol!

17. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I just wish my accidents didn't cost so much . Can I please just have a few nice low sides this year lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. sinewave

sinewave God Like

They aint cheap either if you're going fast enough I can tell ya! :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Less bloody painfull though I can assure ya :(

• Like Like x 1
  20. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Low sides are less painful but my low speed one still cost me the best part of £700.