Which Bike?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Horney, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Horney

Horney Active Member

Right lads (&Ladies)

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma as to which bike to take to the Cannonball Run this year in June. I have a Triumph Street Triple which I love to bits or my track bike which is a CBR600rr 04, there is no way the blade is going as its the jewel of the fleet.

Anyway my street triple would be perfect for this but it has let me down recently by not starting even though the battery was good , it started a week later as normal. This has put doubt in my mind, also the bike is mint and don't want to drop it or abuse it too much as I know I tend to get carried away in the moment! The bikes are getting driven over to Spain in a van where the event starts from then go on a ferry to Morocco then abused for 2k. This makes me think that the track bike might be the answer as its a bike I'm not too bothered about it's never let me down and I have most of the gear to turn it back into road condition and well it's a Honda so there is a slim chance of anything going wrong.

I feel that the trip should be done on a sports bike but the other lads disagree, theres a KTM SMR, KTM SMT, Fazer thou, Ducati 996 and a street triple going.

So what you think should I just bung up the wee trumpet and get on with it or convert the track hack to road use and use it?

Also bare in mind that the Cannonball run is right in the middle of track day season so the bike may be away for a few weeks due to the delivery guys taking it across, therefore missing out on some tracktime. I have been working away a lot so getting time on the bikes is priority no.1 this year!

2. Si.

Si. God Like

Street triple.

3. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

Track bike with that sort of milage in mind I'd want a fairing !

4. Horney

Horney Active Member

The street is not too bad I done 3.5k in 10 days to the assen and catalunya GP's and never had too much bother apart from the bloody seat!! I think the roads on the cannonball will be more twisty stuff so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

5. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

Take the triple then, I love them!!

6. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Take the Triple to an electrical engineer for a full check .... then you will have piece of mind

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

/I think i would prefer the extra comfort of the triple

8. damodici

damodici Active Member

Triple easy.... Think you'd regret the track bike after an hour or so watching the KTM's hoon about

9. Horney

Horney Active Member

I think you guys are right. I'll get a set of bungs and already have a baglux tank cover to protect the tank. And the two triumphs with the Arrow low exhausts sound the nuts but the 2 big KTMs will drown us out.

I'll be sure to try and get loads of pictures for you guys on this, its not til june/july but I'm already excited about it

10. Carlosoul

Carlosoul Active Member

Triple, hope you take photos or video to show us

11. Horney

Horney Active Member

Well I'm taking my contour HD camera and a digital camera with me, my mate also so we should get some good footage/pics.

Heres some from the last few years: Cannonball Bike Run | Facebook

12. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Look forward to that mate .. I'll check out the past footage when I get home

How many
    Times have you done it ?

13. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Just buy an old sh!tbox hack and wreck it - leave it there and feck off home :)

14. Horney

Horney Active Member

This is the first time I'll have done it.

Yeah a hack would be awesome just to take and abuse!

15. Billy Balthorpe

Billy Balthorpe Active Member

I'd take the one you care the least about and owes you the least money. I was talking to a guy (miniature submarine pilot actually, loaded!) in northern france who was off for a trackday with a few mates. He told me that he did a similar run (Cannonball 3000?) to this and his bike (3 week old 999R) was confiscated in Switzerland and he had to send a mate down to pick it up when they eventually released it, 18 months later!