Which sports tyre...?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Nigelg79, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Yep another tyre thread but bear with me...

So I’ve been reading a few old posts on here and elsewhere about sports tyres and various reviews. I’ve got an idea of what to try - Pilot Power 3 - but they’re pretty old now and have these two in mind also:

Metzeler M7RR - old as well but always good reviews.
    Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 - new and tops a recent sports tyre test in Germany.
    Michelin Power RS - evolution of PP 3 but I’m concerned about wet ability.

So, I’d appreciate thoughts and comments from anyone who’s ridden any of these tyres. Please no others, I don’t need anymore tyre suggestions and have narrowed down to these 4 already bearing others in mind.

To give an idea of what they’ll be subjected to:
    • An annual European tour, up to 1,500 miles in all weathers and roads/motorways.
    • UK riding on weekends on mix of A roads and twisties, up to 1,000 miles.
    • Commuting locally, up to 500 miles.
    • Not needed for track days - I have a track bike for that.
    So I need a do it all sports tyre (yeah I know, the holy grail!) - warm up fast, offer good feedback and dry grip, and good for when I get caught in the wet which will happen when touring. And no, I don’t want a sport touring tyre.

Currently riding Michelin Pilot Powers which I’m happy with but a very old tyre now - released 16 years ago!

Thanks all...

2. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

any of the bottom ones, bottom line is u wont out perform any of them, mybe m7 or the rosso for what u need

3. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

its all in the mind so u already have doubt over the power rs, other two seem to be best rated and u cant help but think the tread is working for u where the rs are totally diff tread pattern

4. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Disagree with it all being in the mind but I know what you’re saying. Different tyres have different properties, some more track focused, some more road or touring, and I’m trying to understand the best tyre for my needs. I know they’ll all be better than I am but that’s not the point. The point is getting a tyre that you get a good feeling with and have confidence in.
    My concern with the RS is minimal tread and how it will cope in rain soaked roads, but it’s a Michelin which are traditionally excellent wet weather tyres. So some feedback from anyone running these in real world situations would be appreciated.

5. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

And agree about the tread pattern scenario. Thanks for your help.

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

M7rr

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I switched to the Power RS from having went through a couple of sets of PP3's. Don't let the tread pattern put you off, way more grip in the wet compared to the 3's in my opinion not to mention the dry grip, stability and how quickly they tip in. Will be ordering another set in the near future.

8. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Really? Interesting to hear. They cope well in the rain then and no aquaplaning going on?

9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I've recently put a set of M7 rr's on my bike and while I've not had much chance to try them out yet, they came highly recommended by several forum members, my local tyre guy (who is an extremely quick road and track rider) and also Michael Rutter himself tested these tyres round the IOM TT circuit on a BMW S1000RR and his standing start best lap was just short of the 'flying' lap record........the test was carried out without the use of tyre warmers as well!!

Speaks volumes I'm sure you'll agree?

The test is published in the August 2017 edition of performance bikes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think I'm glad I won't be needing new tyres this summer. It will take me a season to decide what to buy! I am happy with my Diablos, but in the absence of testing other tyres, I guess we're all reliant on feedback from others - and THAT will not necessarily guarantee us the best tyre suited to our preferences as @Nigelg79 is finding in this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I've had 2 pairs of Metz M7s. One pair on an old (I won't call it a classic!) Mille and the other set one my recently traded 2015 Blade.

They after riding with them on the Mille for a while they were a no brainer on the Blade when I decided to get rid of the OE Dunlops. After the Qualifiers 2s I found they really transformed the bike and my waning trust levels were restored both in the dry and the wet.

There are newer tyres out there but I can vouch for the Metzelers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Appreciate all your feedback. Tyres are a very personal thing but always helpful to hear reviews from others who have sampled themselves. I’ve decided to stop fannying about and make a decision - just ordered some PP3’s. I love my pilots so hoping these are even better.
    Cheers all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. icedmind

icedmind Active Member

So far on the Blade I have: stock OE Dunlop 214s, then Bridgestone S21, and just now M7RR

The stock Dunlops are just crap, worse than even some bad sports touring tyres, only grips when sunny and hot, slow turn in etc.

Went to S21 because I previously had it my 600 nearly stock cheap track bike (which is still road legal), they turns amazing and its everything you would want on a sports tyre that also in wet.

M7RR are on for the last 500ish miles, yes they have better cold grip but not as stable as the S21 in corners, turn in the same as the S21s, I was a bit disappointed actually because they feel almost the same if not worse on road and 4C dry track day as my worn S21s, will see if it gets better in the summer with the heat.

Haven't use Michilen's sporty tyres before, will be nice to see what you think of them compare to others :)

• Useful Useful x 2