white front nose cone

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by fez.57, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Wish I had a moto thingy or venture shield on mine!! This is the result of mine after a ride out today with a pal!! I'm so pissed it's unreal... My first cone had similar on the second ride out... Which was luckily replaced when I got knocked off!

Am I just mega unlucky or do they make them out of wafer thin plastic??

I now need a f*cking 2010 colour hrc cone - any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Shit Jimbo. It looks like someone was shooting at you. How the hell was something going fast enough to do that.

A .303 bluebottle?

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Mate, I can't believe it... My last one split and had a three inch crack smack in te middle from stone chips.

This one had taken two chunks and gone right through in one place!! We were tanking it, but wasnt up his chuff, it's mental! Can't believe it's happened twice??

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the nose one acrylic or GRP?

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

No idea mate? They seem so brittle though.

Has anybody else suffered the same problem?

6. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Unlucky mate , They normally crack or make a huge hole . must have been a sharp 1

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Your pissed now Jimbo but that's not a million miles away from your visor dude. If that's GRP it's like body armour and to make a hole like that takes some doing, but even if it's an ABS plastic to make a hole that small takes some decent kinetic energy.

8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Know why you mean, but the first two that didn't go through were from my pal, and the third was from a car ten mins later! And for the same to happen on previous cone, surely they are manufactured too weak??

Dan - the last one cracked mate like you said.

Don't even know how much a new one is!?

9. JD

JD Active Member

Jeez, that's really bad luck, but also makes me think that was some whack it took! Gutted for you mate.

JD

#29 JD, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. blade65

blade65 Active Member

Jimbo, gutted for you mate! Where were you when it happened the south coast version of the Dakar? As Kpone says, lucky it wasn't your visor. Next time go riding with me, I don't go fast enough to flick up road debris.

11. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Im pretty sure the new cone for my 07 600 was 150 from Honda and it came with the correct decals .. Should be the same if not cheaper i reckon mate

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Good old 272... It seems I'm incredibly unlucky on the blade when it comes to stone chips!! Hey ho
    Ha ha, cheers mate - but then I'd be worried about my rear end?? Lol when you out next anyway fella??

13. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Cheers danno! I'll keep my eyes peeled, and also see what stu can do for me!

14. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

This is one of the big down sides to tail tidys, people fit them and then stones are free to fly miles through the air off the back wheel.! Mind you you mate may well have the OE tidy for all I know.... Gutted mate! I hate following people!

15. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Yep, tiny rear end race reps down side - but they do look great. No your right Arthur, 2011 gixxa with tail tidy on.

Hate following too. Was only following (at a decent distance) for half hour too.

16. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Gutted mate, Fowlers may be able to give you a good price, I would cost it for you but no point as small fry like me only get a tiny discount.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I wonder if the aerodynamics of certain models are more susceptible than others to this kind of problem? The reason for which I mention is that I had a 205 GTi for 10 years or so and never had a stone chip on it while driving. Then I got a brand new 206 GTi and within days the front looked like a scene from A Bridge too Far written in Braille. Perhaps the bow wave on some vehicles acts like a deflector screen.

I realise that the damage to Jimbo's bike is due to a bit more than a bit of grit flicked into the air but maybe some front ends are more prone?

18. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

That's crap Jim, I must admit when I removed my nose cone it did strike me as being a rather small flimsy piece of plastic,

Didn't that fella on here who was looking for a nose cone end up buying one for his 2010 and it was about £230 or something daft, their was one of these on eBay a week ago in fact the whole bodywork set was for sale !

19. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Did wonder this ken, my r6 had an angular front end and no issues, the blade is quite bulbous so impact is more head on??

20. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Sorry to hear about the nose cone Jim.

I had a slight off last year and when the mirror touched down it cracked mine in 2 places even with Ventura shield on. Though that was more down to it twisting than anything else.
    I got a price for 1 from Dobles where I bought the bike. £180.

I was lucky though my mate spotted 1 for me at £90 on eBay.

• Like Like x 1