Who would buy a CBR 1000 RR SP2 if......

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dessp2, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Honda dumped all that electronic nonsense and priced it at about £15k. I know ABS is hear to stay and there is nothing we can do about that. I love the look of the SP2, but I wish they would start making superbikes affordable again (like they were when everyone was riding them) and desirable to keep beyond the warranty period.

2. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I have a 16 SP. it has no electronics except the HESD, I also have a 18 Panigale V4S that has electronic everything. While both are capable and have character of their own, I FAR prefer the SP. In fact, I consider the V4S a mistake and may trade it on for a new blade after it is released for 2019.

• Like Like x 2
  3. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

my s1000rr has them all they flater me and I love them and it was under your price mark brand new .

• Like Like x 1
  4. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Wonderful and I am delighted it’s a BMW. Slight off topic but it’s not a Honda and still has electronic aids. Good luck with those beyond warranty period.

• Like Like x 1
  5. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

My point was 15k Is a lot if has no aids . And as for after warranty Honda won’t even honour it under warranty especially there wonderful abs

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I like the look of the CBR SP, for sure. But if there was a slightly cheaper supernaked version I would probably rather have that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Electronics is very cheap.
    Once they have spent the money designing it adding it to every bike thereafter as an excuse to amortise the development cost is just going to happen.
    There is no significant saving to the manufacturer to be made by leaving it off so it does not reflect in the price.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Short answer is no.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Euro 4 was more of an issue. That Suzuki GSX-S1000 had some basic electronics, and that was a cheap bike (and very fast !) but the Euro 4 regs where what caused it grief.

Euro 5 are on the way, and who knows what after that - but unlikely it will end there !

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

As an owner of one of the supposed 30 SP2s in UK, I say they are a great bike - but well overpriced for what they are.

Let's look objectively: They've got bugger all over the SP save for engine mods that Honda claims gives it no extra power or torque in its basic form; it's got trick wheels, certainly effective in handling but no necessarily the 'bees knees'; it's got trick paintwork of 'faux carbon' which anyone could take or leave; and it's got a premium price which puts it in the 'exclusive' bracket - but the bike itself cannot justify exclusivity.

Dealers are falling over themselves to get rid of these things. There are still 2017 'H' models for sale through dealers on ebay (cunningly stated as a 2019 model because it hasn't been registered) and at least 2 dealers have dropped the price to sub-twenty grand which I highlighted in a post some weeks back.

Dealers are stuck! Honda offers the dealers 6 months free credit on the bike purchase plan. Most dealers would expect to clear stock within that 6 months. However, because these things have little appeal to the public (whether by design or price) the dealers are now having to pay huge penalties for carrying these things. No wonder they're dropping the price!!

I don't regret buying mine, but I do not see it reaching the highs of the VTR SP1/SP2, not will it attain the status of some other 'homologation' models.

So, to answer the question, yes, I would buy one. The electronics would not influence me but the price and the fact of it being Honda would.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

Well put mate

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

If I had the money and it came in a better paint scheme I would! Think Honda would have been better offering more colour schemes rather than just the boring red/white/blue

I don’t mind the electronics especially Bosch abs as it’s saved my arse before in another bike, power modes can be good especially in wintertime with greasy roads, Even the most experienced riders can still get caught out

#13 sps170373, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

BUT, it's not just ANY blue, it's CARBON blue, so in the eyes of Honda bureaucrats, that makes it worth an extra grand!!:D

15. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Although I know I'm not over enamoured with my SP1, even knowing what I know now. I would by an SP2. But then again despite their faults I am a Honda fan.

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, same boat for me. I think we pay a penalty for our one-eyedness though, because we become blind to what else is on offer. A person more rational than me would survey the market and weigh up the R1, Ninja H2, BMW, and Panigale. I did look at the Aprilia RSV4 F, but it felt even smaller and cramped than the Blade.

Depending on what's available for 2019, I might just part exchange my 2011 for something different, but just a 'basic' bike rather than a bells and whistles special.

17. Spygoat

The 2018 V4S is getting traded in for a 2019 SP2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Trading the V4 S for a 2019 SP2 ?

Just curious, is that a general dislike of Ducati ownership, or anything else in particular ?

19. Spygoat

I haven't felt a connection to the V4 S. It feels like a German woman..cold, impersonal and devoid of character.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Huh? On what grapevine have you heard about a 2019 SP2?

I cannot imagine they'll make a new model. Remember, the 2017 - 18 is an homologation model. I suspect what will be available in 2019 will be the same as is now available but with another different graphic treatment of the 'boring red/white/blue'. I also suspect that there's a friggin' Honda warehouse containing about 300 of the damn things because they're not selling and no race teams, except the title winning Penrite team (Australian Superbike Series) wants them:(.

Good move though, Mr Spy. I hope you'd find it has the edge over your current SP, although most in the Ducati camp would refer you to an electroencephalogram. (That word is specially for @PauloHRC :D)

Penrite.jpg