Why buy a Fireblade?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by auag, Apr 17, 2018.

1. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

But aren't you already looking at buying another bike? So that suggests you still aren't overly happy and are buying twice in the period you may well have only had to buy once?

I could say buy cheap, buy twice. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Without being patronising, could it be that you're just a better rider?;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Would like a s1000rr but reading some of the stories about cam wear/switch gear failure I couldn’t trust it especially as I keep my bike long after the warranty has gone

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Interesting perspective, Mattie. I offer the following as a point of view and not as argument.

I have stuck with Honda since my 1970 CB175. (I prefered 4-strokes over the oppositions 2-strokes.) I later had CB750 K1 and 1984 VF750. Perhaps the marque is 'ingrained' in me, but not so much to turn a blind eye to other makes. You've probably seen my posts about having purchased a 2007 MV F4 1000R to accompany my 2011 Blade.

To the point though, a couple of months ago I was looking to purchase a new 'keeper' bike. Admittedly I did not consider the BMW, but I did look at the new MV, Panigale V4 and the 2018 Blade. My love and satisfaction with the Honda product swayed me, so then I looked to the SP2 as being a 'special' bike - its comparable rarity being another enticing factor. Sure, I had heard of the race and track incidents, but they did not cloud my judgement for as @gcon45 writes above, they are totally different bikes. I have not read or heard of media reports of people 'ending up in hospital' as a result of a road-registered 2017-18 Blade. This is the benchmark to equate with a road-going Suzuki.

Granted the Suzuki is cheaper, as are (subject to deal) the Yamahas and Kwakas. We might pay a premium for owning a Honda, but I think we return to them for the love of the brand and knowing that we will (generally) have trouble-free ownership.

Perhaps another of those 'horses for courses' situations?

• Like Like x 2
  5. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

I would never suggest such a thing :)
    I’m an average enough rider at best but one trend I do notice is an obsession with having the latest electronics even amongst the novice groups on track days.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but surely your time and money would be better spent on tuition and actually learning to control a bike yourself?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

ive bet my mate on his blade while I was on a cbr600rr don't make my 600 a better bike.

7. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

i had one but would extend the warranty or buy new. As you say I wouldn't trust it out of warranty, but that said I'd not own an other Bmw as the dealer network local to me and bmw uk are shite

8. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I remember reading about you’re problems mate,I was in a Bm dealer and ready to buy a s1000rr and I mentioned the switch gear issue and he said it’s not a problem as we would come and collect the bike and drop off a loaner. I do a lot of miles and can’t be arsed with the hassle so left it

9. auag

auag Active Member

Very interesting comments, cheers.
    My own view of ABS etc is, so long as switchable, the BM's is, is that it's not reasonable to dismiss it.
    I'm captain slow but I've been taken by surprise by cars and only great fortune's saved my neck. On a closed road or track it's a different argument.
    As for a spotty rep, I would agree that the BM has had its issues. But Honda should never be forgiven for its own ABS crimes either!
    There is indeed an all new S1000 due but I don't assume the new gen bike is always better, Honda just reminded us of that.
    One thing I do like is BM will supply the RR with a factory fitted and remapped cat-less system.
    Got a couple of test rides booked.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Absolutely agree - and there is no right or wrong. However, Honda are probably hoping that there are more of you than me :D

Let the market decide.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

IMAG0562.jpg Old school Analog no probs

#31 Selmer50mark, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  12. zxrob

zxrob Active Member

I think all bikes have their issues, its personal choice at the end of the day

Rob

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hashlak

Hashlak New Member

I personally think all the new liter bikes absolutely awesome in their own way. All comes down to what suits you in terms of riding position, throttle control, weight/cornering agility, asthetics etc etc..

I went with the blade because it was small, light weight, and just felt comfy/natural riding position for myself.

Best is to try before you buy !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Damn. I want one!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. raphael

raphael Elite Member

As much as I love riding my current blade I had the most fun on this one! And love the simplicity of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. It is 10 years since I sold my 1996 Grey Fireblade. It was an absolute hoot. Big fat front tyre and sponge surrounded analogue clocks. I am going to say this it was the best bike I have had.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

I think 90s bikes are keepers, there's something about carbs and sitting behind a big fat tank looking at analog clocks , simples :cool:

18. RC45

RC45 Active Member

They sure are. Its about now I wonder why I sold the RC45 back in the early 2000's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. auag

auag Active Member

Test rode the BM and... huge disappointment
    Made my hands tingle with vibes, just not nice to sit on.
    Phenomenal brakes, couldn't get the ABS to step in, very reassuring in that respect.
    Pin sharp steering and easy direction change, can imagine it's a great track bike.
    Steering damper is old school and makes very low speed balance difficult. The HESD is brill at walking pace and below.
    And I'm wrong, the cat-less exhaust makes the bike track-use only and you have to sign away your warranty.
    So, overall, not remotely good enough to seperate me from £20k.
    The hunt continues.
    What did someone say, try before you buy...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Are you in the market for an actual sports bike ?

If you look at the pictures of the old school sports bikes in this thread, the handlebars seem a little higher than (probably) most of the current crop of sports bikes. The riding position of my old 2015 Blade felt more relaxed than the current GSX-R and R1.

That is what gets me thinking - is it possible to buy a comfortable road sports bike like they used to make - or did that era come to an end in 2016 with the last GSXR and the last Old School Blade. Is the new Blade a comfortable road bike ?

The current Blade seems to have a slightly higher handlebar to seat ratio - based just on looking at it - is something I noticed when test riding the R1 and the Gixxer

For this reason I have been looking at Super Naked sports bikes because I am not sure I can live with this new ultra aggressive riding positions

GSXR profile.png Fireblade.png