Why buy a Fireblade?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by auag, Apr 17, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Interesting observation, Mattie, but without actual measurements I think it might be an illusion.

Being fortunate to have both a 2011 and 2018 I can easily say the seating positions and reach to handlebars are the same - or at least feel the same. I have often commented on the 'cramped' position - which we accept on a sports bike - but as you rightfully point out, some are more cramped than others. I still maintain that the 2004-5 is more comfortable- perhaps 'roomier' than the 11 and 18, but here, I might be suffering my own illusion.

With apologies for reposting this pic, it is ideal for viewing the seat to handlebar ratios of the 3 Blades. (I haven't sat on an R1 or Gixxer because if I do, I might buy one.:D)

Seat Position.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I still run my old 2001 GSXR 600 and the bars on that are much narrower than on the Blade, despite the blade being physically smaller o_O
    The gixxer is really aggressive in it's riding position, I find the Blade more comfortable (apart from the seat).

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Think you'll find there were minor adjustments made to the seating position on the 2014 blade...it's slightly more aggressive. ..few cms made on the rear sets & bars if I remember correctly. I can tell when I sit on one compared to my 11.

4. hessel

hessel Member

i own my 2016 blade since new (last of the old model) and i luv it to bits...(apart maybe from the abs brakes tho i havent had issues yet)
    its plenty fast enough for me so i don t need more power and handling suits me top aswell.
    personally i wouldnt spend so much more cash on a new blade causse i feel for me it adds very little infact i find the wind protection worse then it is on my blade...
    i travel thru germany on it quite often so to me wind protection matters tho i know its not a tourer...
    all the electronic gimmicks on the new one are nice but i know myselve well enough to know i probably touch them once and never again so....

finally, going the european route with an s1000rr or some type of ducati is not for me however well they ride or look.
    several m8s of mine gone there and the majority is back to a jap bike mainly due to having issues with new and/or very young euro bikes.
    stuff like multiple visits to arrogant bmw dealers for electric gremlins or mechanical failure gets frustrating when the sun is shining and your overly expensive beemer sits at the dealership for weeks trying to fix something that shouldnt have failed in the first place...

so....my blade may well be old and obsolete in the eyes of some but it goes like stink and in all honesty, it can do more handling and powerwise then i ever can or will be able to on the roads here...
    i just want reliability and that is in general what u get with a jap bike wether a honda or suzuki or yamaha....

• Like Like x 6
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Well said, Hessel.

Certainly nothing wrong with a 2016. And true, they all have more power than most of us can 'properly' use, but it's great to know it's there when we need it.

True also about the 2017-18 electronics. Perhaps most of us have made our initial exploration of settings, tried a few, and then settle back to leaving it as is once we feel it's to our liking. I think that with today's technology, a rider needs quite sensitive skills to tell the difference between, say, an electronically set shock Vs an OEM. I liken it to some of the electronics gimmickry on a car. Take an electronic wing mirror for instance; once it's set, it's set. We're then driving around with a 400 quid option/inclusion that might never be used again. But at least we know it's there!:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

I was in the position were I had an 09 CBR600rr for 4 years and wanted a change to the big bike!

I had contemplated the BMW as a few friends had them and loved them. I personally think they look great and it was a real contender.

I looked at Ducati’s and Suzuki but always ended up coming back to looking at Honda. The biggest selling point for me was the fact that no other dealers locally had given me the time of day to be honest when enquiring. I had rang BMW multiple times and was told someone will get back to you.

The running and service costs of a Duc and horror stories from some local guys made me fear a few hefty bills and the Suzuki was nice and much cheaper but it just didn’t excite me when I looked at it!

So in the end of it all I reverted back to the Honda and have had a great buying experience and love the look of the bike so win win really!

As said before each to their own!

• Like Like x 3
  7. phil30

phil30 New Member

japanese bikes are the best they don't breakdown like german ones

8. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

I think these days it's the luck of the draw....

9. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

NOT as dangerous as shocking ABS on Fireblade . my 16 plate has just gone for new Bmw and it is light years ahead

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

To be fair, I haven't encountered any ABS braking problems on my 2018.

Best wishes with the BMW. A nice looker, and without the 'futuristic' look of the Yamaha MTs.

11. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

thanks was gutted to get rid bike was otherwise awesome but brakes are kinda important . they swapped to newer abs on new model which sorted it . happy riding

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

when I had my s1000rr I used 3 dealers, 1 was great but the other side of country the other 2 was shite. To the point 1 damaged my bike and it got wrote off

13. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

That’s not what you want.. dealers make a big difference to the overall decision

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

the dealer I bought it from in Grimsby was ace, preston and Manchester was awful

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi all pleased to say I have bought a 2018 fireblade Sp traded in my 2014 after a lot of thought ....managed to get tail tidy 0% £500 contribution.....tank pad, optimate and lead and 3yrs service cover....very happy chappy ...oh and the acropovic wsbk slip on all in the deal......will be about 3wks can't wait......

• Like Like x 9
  16. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

BOOOOOMMM

Nice one bud!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Thanks all....appreciated...now where's the Dainese web site......all show no go!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Well done, Wozza. I'm sure you'll be pleased. Damn good negotiator too. I got the R&G tail tidy and free first service, but didn't even think of screwing them for the Optimate (which I later purchased:() Love your work!!

PS. Does the SP have Lithium?

19. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi yes it is,, all I mentioned was could you put a lead on it and the salesman said you will need a new charger don't worry I will give you one! Great service .....I don't like playing off dealer vs dealer but it's business....at the end of the day saved 1k on the other deal offered me....top tip write everything down you want get all the quotes in then play deal or no deal......of course service and location comes into it....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Voleracing

Voleracing Active Member

Hi Wozza . Looking to buy an sp which dealer did you buy from please ? I need to make a phone call before the end of June (This is when 0% deal finishes ) My local dealer will not take a Panigale 1299 as p/x. Anyone know of a Honda dealer that will take in Ducati as a P/x ?

Thanks Paul