Why?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by F1CT1C10U5, Jan 10, 2019.

1. F1CT1C10U5

F1CT1C10U5 Well-Known Member

*Rant mode on*
    Why do most ads on eBay from UK sellers ship to "UK Only" or "UK bidders only"?
    Seriously, what are "you" all afraid of?
    :mad:
    *Rant mode off*

2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Lol....what are you trying to buy? A Union Jack flag to fly from the back of your bike maybe? :) :D

3. F1CT1C10U5

No particular item at the moment... But I was looking at a auction for an Xspirit 3 helmet... but.......... "UK bidders only", as usual.

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

It might well be trying to estimate postage costs. I have listed items from time to time and there are occasions where international postage actually exceeds the price of the item. Purchasers then criticise the seller for exorbitant postage costs. Now, I make a note: 'International postage by negotiation.'

I have no problem helping you out when there's something in particular you want from UK. I would then forward it to you. (Promise, I really would:)) This is not unusual, just as @Spygoat has offered a similar gesture for USA purchased items. PM me if necessary.;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. F1CT1C10U5

Thanks @nigelrb
    I have friends in the UK... getting the item to Portugal is not a problem, have done it the past.
    I was just trying to understand why, and the postage costs might just be the reason...

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I rarely sell on eBay now anyways but for me it's the risk of the courier losing or damaging something which there is more chance of happening when sending internationally.

The insured postage is a total con given the holes you have to jump through to receive any sort of compensation. Parcel to Singapore was lost recently and the courier would not open a case unless I had images of the packaging. Spent ages writing up a report explaining the fact it was missing not damaged so why would I have any images but to no avail... money down the shitter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Couriers losing things isn't exclusive to ebay. A forum member posted me an item pre-Christmas that was later said to be 'lost'. Friggin' anus heads - how the hell can a parcel with legible labelling (printed and affixed by the courier!) AND bar code tracking, end up lost? Thieving bastards I reckon.

And you're right, Mr Tuk, any claim results in the corporate cover-up or stream of meaningless apologies without any demonstrable action. Three weeks on and I'm still in rant mode. Will take eight months to calm down:rolleyes:;).

8. F1CT1C10U5

@tuktuk
    Yes... that is a valid concern...
    It's always a risk...

9. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

If you don't put uk buyers only. You are constantly getting asked how much to Spain, how much to Portugal, how much to Singapore, how much to Iceland, you get the idea. It's a pain in the arse. I'd only entertain sending outside the uk if I couldn't get the money for it in the uk, and it was worth a few bob.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

My brother and I run an instrumentation business and one of our products is a cheap consumer device.
    In the UK we offer free shipping and pack it in a way that is cheap.
    For much of the rest of the world experience has told us that it needs a 'signed for' delivery or it 'doesn't arrive'.
    If I was selling personally on Ebay it would definitely be UK only and I'd work out the postage before I put up the item and include that in my starting price.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

I sold an item on ebay to a nice lady in Greece with no problems

12. F1CT1C10U5

@Nigel H I see. Also a valid point.

I just found odd that, for example, if we go to eBay.com and look for US ads, it's rare to find one that doesn't ship overseas, whereas in ebay.co.uk and for UK ads, it's the opposite.

Anyway, my question as been answered, I believe.

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Easily explained. USA is such an affluent nation that vendors can afford to cop a loss. Just ask @Spygoat !;)

14. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Ebay.com in the USA tries to get you to use the UPS plug-in to work out the shipping price.
    Hence the usually ludicrous extra charges.

15. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I've not sold on eBay for years, but I have bought and sold loads of things on forums like this. Usually, when it is international, the person I am selling to or buying from understands the added cost and logistics involved in such a transaction. I've bought from members of this forum and had zero issues.

Now if someone would just buy my leather Repsol jacket and gloves which no longer fit me, I could see if my luck holds out!:cool: