Winter prep

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by raphael, Nov 11, 2018.

1. dgr

dgr Active Member

If you don't want to go down the compressor route then try one of these, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flairosol-...038890&sr=8-1&keywords=flairosol+spray+bottle

It produces a very fine mist, which is what you want when applying ACF-50. It's a good idea to warm it first but I used one last year and it did a decent job, much better than the aerosol or their own spray bottle.

#21 dgr, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, yes. The old mulled ACF-50 trick!!

3. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Ordered the spray now but thanks for the tip!:)

4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

So I’ve ordered one of these misting bottles and the bottle of ACF-50. I’m going to be even more busy than I thought I as going to be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Would you need to do it in a 'spray booth?'

Erm, think I'll leave the building . . .:(:(

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. dgr

dgr Active Member

Ideally, yes, but the real question is whether you do it naked. The bike, that is. :rolleyes:

Fairings on or off?

#26 dgr, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

If I were to be doing this, I'd definitely take the lower fairings/belly pan off. It's in those tighter, concealed areas where corrosion would take effect without protection. A small inconvenience for added protection.

8. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

My stomach turns over when I even think about taking the fairings off :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I was like that at first. Perhaps fearing my own incompetence or the prospect of stripping a screw thread or whatever. After doing it a couple of times - on various bikes - it really is a no brainer.

Just about as easy as changing a pair of the old Calvin Kleins, but without finding the intrusive creepy crawlies - well, for me anyway!:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. dgr

dgr Active Member

I took the fairings off to do the ACF-50 treatment last year. It isn't as straightforward as it should be on the 2017, too many interlocking pieces of plastic and those plastic pop fasteners are a bit of a joke. I was hoping to get away with not taking them off this year. Maybe I'll just remove the belly pan, which isn't too bad. All Year Biker don't bother, of course, but they do use a compressor and spray gun.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I appreciate its all about understanding the procedure, technique, patience and being methodical - confidence without unnecessary force etc etc. The thing that gets me with the fairings on the CBR is that they’re overly complicated and flimsy. Honda would argue making them out of multiple sections helps keep the price down for replacements (a joke in itself) and its all about weight saving (which is lame at best). The fairings of my previous bike were so much more straight forward and suitable self supporting that it didn’t feel like you were trying to nail three sheets of jelly to the wall.

I was talking to a guy at the weekend who had copy fairings that look identical to mine but the whole side was in one piece and I thought why not Mr Honda.

Rest assured I wont be put off and they’ll be removed for the ACF application its just not something I’ll be looking forward to and relieved once its over. Bit like going to the dentist really :(

#31 Boothman, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Crap!! Nothing like going to the dentist -

unless you have a glamour dental nurse holding the fairings!!:D:D (Have I infringed 'political correctness'?:))

13. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Fairing removal is a PITA. I'm always scared I will snap one of the tabs and the panels will never sit right again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, as far as winter goes...we're supposed to get snow here tomorrow.:(:(

15. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Thi
    Think it’s time to revisit the dosage of your meds @nigelrb

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Exactly - the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Honda do it on purpose so you do break them and then have to spend more of your hard earned on new :eek:

17. dgr

dgr Active Member

Given what a pain it is to take the fairings off and, more importantly, put them back on again, I don't think I'm going to bother this year. If the bike is properly washed after an ACF-50 treatment it ought to be reapplied and I'm definitely not doing the fairing on off pantomime every time I wash my bike over the Winter. With the help of a fine mist spray I think I can get a decent covering and if I don't cover everything I can't see, well I can't see it so I won't worry too much about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Jez

Jez Senior Member

once the roads have been salted thats my bike away for the winter, ACF clean etc, I could do with an off roader or similar for winter, I just do not get the same pleasure wondering if I am going to slide off, then all the cleaning when you get home

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Likewise mine will be kept away until the spring once those pesky gritters have done their worst. Problem is that unlike many (mentioning no names @nigelrb :D) my blade resides in a less than temperature and humidity controlled palace :(. So the ACF is more for general dampness/condensation protection

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Agree about the ACF.

A forum member once posted about this subject, and he wraps his bike in a swimming pool liner sealed with alligator clips or similar with a small caravan heater/dehumidifier inside the wrapping. I reproduce his pic:

Oxidisation.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1