WSBK - what to do......?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Singh1000RR, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

Before I start i'd like to say i'm a big Jonny Rea fan. Supported him from BSB to WSS to WSBK (Ten Kate Honda squad).

However his (and Kawaski's) domination of WSBK is making it boring. Barring mechanical or accidents I can see him finishing 1st and 2nd in every race. I watch BSB or WSBK every year and the last few WSBK seasons have been dull.

Even with the reverse grid - he's normally in the top 3 within the first few laps. I know its not his fault and the other teams need to raise their game but something needs to be done asap.

Dorna are on about moving to a more super stock specification and single ECU - this MIGHT be the answer. I'm not technical enough to know - what do other people think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Robbie

Robbie Active Member

I agree WSBK is boring apart from watching Chaz backing that ducati into nearly every corner. Rumours that I have picked up on are that IF Dorna force everyone to go superstock spec engine and single ECU then several of the manufacturers have said that they will quit, so in my view effectively holding Dorna to ransom, I cannot remember which ones, but I am sure that BMW might have been one of them. This of course would be bad for the championship that is already struggling, if manufacturers start dropping out, we want more bikes on the grid not less, I think that Dorna needs to look at the BSB Superbikes and get the manufacturers to watch that series also as the single ECU and other rules have worked for BSB albeit it didn't happen overnight.

Just my musings.

3. Frankblue

Frankblue New Member

Have to agree. Been watching, attending and following WSB for many years and right now it a Kwak v Duke series. I don't like the Sat and Sun race format either. There are some seriously talented riders in there though and I hope it can be sorted to enable all manufacturers a fair deal. Sympathies with KRT and Ducati though, others just aren't at their level. Not too long ago Aprilia and BMW were winning regularly.

4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

IMHO:
    Dorna want a package they can sell TV rights to. Regional TV providers want to use these exclusive rights to help sell their TV packages.

The racing teams are required to put on a show, so that they can be sold to make money for the TV rights providers.

I suspect bike manufacturers are facing higher costs to compete, and lower returns from motorcycle sales. Advertisers will probably spend less as the audience figures become narrower due to TV rights limiting who sees the live racing.

So the show will have to be rigged in some way, to create the spectacle that TV rights can sell.

BSB is different, as it is a home series, in a country that still has a large motorcycle following. The BSB races are accessible to large numbers of fans, anywhere in the country. The BSB teams do not have the staggering expenses of flying full race teams around the world, as it is all within the UK. The ECU regulations help with the cost of development and mean racing teams can field a British race team in BSB without full factory sponsorship.

Maybe having spec ECU will help make it cheaper for teams to compete, that can only be good - but the manufacturers, whose money is on the line here, still might not think it worth it in the long run.

5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Why do manufacturers enter teams in WSBK? They do it to show their kit off and gain sales would be my guess.

Dominance in sport is not new, and rarely lasts for an extended period. Before too long Yamaha, Honda, Aprilia or KTM will have a bike that beat the Kwak and the Ducati. Just the same as Lotus, Brabhams, Williams', McLaren and Red Bull no longer dominate in F1.