Yamaha/Honda love/hate

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by InsanitY, Jul 1, 2018.

1. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

Hi,

So basically the story is like this...I always liked Yamaha's and I was and I am a hugeee fan..I had the smaller capacity ones..But last year time came to upgrade again so I went for a change and went to a dealer that had a "week special" CBR1000RR that had a racefit exhaust on..and as soon as that thing started I knew that bike is coming home with me...(guess love at first sight/sound really works...not sure if it last tho).

Now the reason I went for that is obviously from gathering advice from close relatives...what has been said is..that the Blade is a easier bike to ride as a first 1000 then the R1 and that R1 is a lot taller and not being familiar with the weight while I'm not considered tall at 5'7 might be a struggle...The CBR handles better...The CBR is more reliable etc.

Now when Yamaha came with the new shape R1 in 2015 I hated it with all my heart as I was in love with the older design(just loved that front end) but as time went on it grew on me to the point I literally love it.

So few months ago I've seen a nice model at a dealer near me and decided to go for a test ride...thoughts after the ride we're like this..Well its tall and I have no chance of reaching with both feet even on tip toes so everything would have to be on 1 leg(which is not ideal as I've seen points were you got to quickly put your foot down on the other side) but now being used to the weight I think I'm fine and I did not encounter an issue. The sound it makes...was really off putting for me(it had stock pipe) Idk I just did not like it..clutch was different as the yamaha one is quite high and on my CBR its a lot lower(probably there's some adjustability there anyway) also obviosly the Yamaha makes its power up top..while we know where Blade stands out.

In the end I took it back to them and said no thank you the bike is not for me but I'm considering it might also be my frustration with them that they kept me there 2 hours with an appointment cause they didn't have spare plates and couldn't start the bike as battery was dead(3 guys trying to start it...untill manager got there..bunch of..) also I was in a rush cause I planned to sell a bike that day so I had to be about 70 miles the other way but since they kept me that much I was running late so only done a 20 min ride.

Now few months over and I've seen a red and white model which I love..and somehow I seem to always wanna get back there..I swear its like I'm having a bike disorder where I'm trying to figure what I like more. Don't get me wrong I having nothing bad to say about the Blade except the stupid ABS but its just something..idk guess this guys words are what I really mean and feel .

Oh that and the "fear of missing out" ..you know loving Yamaha and all that all the new tech they got in the new models etc..

I'd like to hear what your opinions are ...from people who've had experience with both and can talk me straight I guess. Yamaha would cost a lot more to keep and run then my current blade..something like 500£ a month compared to the 300£ CBR so I wanna make sure I make a good decision. Sorry for my post that seems never ending.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wish I could help but I am too full of bias toward Honda.

Objectively, I should get out and test a Yamaha or Suzuki - but I have always been so happy with Honda that I see no reason to move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

2017-06-13_14.41.01.jpg Well my current ride is a 2015 R1 but my last honda was only the RR5 not a newer one, so can't coment on the newer Honda's, I can tell you that the 2015 R1 is a blast to ride, great fun on and off the track, but can't give you a comparison sorry.

• Like Like x 8
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Even with what I said above, that's a damn nice looking unit, Simon. Much better than the current Johnny 5 look. (My opinion only)

5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

that is a gorgeous bike and imo sounds much nicer than the blade, will keep an eye on this thread as wouldn’t mind the new r1

6. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Looked at a R1,but dealer support is poor around where I live.....so went for a Sp1.....rode v4s couldn't justify 6k difference at this stage....

7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I loved the new R1 when it came out as well - really wanted it in red/white.

Personally, after a lot of thought it wasn't right for what I do - which is all road, and no track riding at all.

Couple of things happened - there were issues with the battery going flat. Somebody I know had to keep it on a trickle charge. It had some oil issues at the TT. Could't really carry any luggage like a roll bag to go to the races. It was like it was bored stiff even doing 50 - you would have to be prepared to really get a move on if you wanted any nice sounds out of it

Then McGuiness broke the lap record in the Senior TT - maybe the Blade is not so bad - reliable - plenty quick enough.

So after all that I have ended up with a Yamaha after all, an MT-10 SP - with all the R1 crossplane crank goodness.

MT-10 profile lake side resize.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

I see, well in the meantime
    Lovely bike that one I had an interest at some point...was looking at those but the scheme color with grey and yellow rims.

Well in the meantime something that kind of bothers me happened...I got a quote on a R1 the red/white 2017 on 66 plate that I had my eye on at around 13500£ and only one company wanted to insure me ..third party 1300£ or full comprehensive from other 3 at around 3000£ so I was like..no fucking way I'm paying that much.

Tried an older model..the 2015 that around 11500£ and got lots of quotes from something like 430£ a year which is not bad for my age and its even less then I pay for my Blade atm...so it seems R1 is looking not as expensive as I thought and good things might happen...

Now should I be fussed about it being 2015 and not 2017? as far as I know its essentially the same bike and nothing remotely major has happened... but now I'm having a hard time finding a decent 15 plate near me.

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

There was a gearbox recall - not sure if any actually went wrong - but they had a recall I remember.

I still reckon the R1M is best looking sportsbike in this year's Sportsbike of the Year shoot out. If I had the money, and chance to run on track a bit - that is the bike I would have.

IMHO - the R1 is not elegant looking but rather muscular looking, and it looks great.

10. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I have the same dilemma in that I don’t do any track but spirited riding and 1k per month so like you mattie, not the ideal bike but I love the looks of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

And thats exactly what I love about it.. I'm really having a tough time deciding ..to be fair if R1 would be a little lower It would not even be a question right now..but I don't wanna give up my perfectly fine CBR moded to my preference and then find out I just can't deal with that stuff every time.. I'd also call steve Jordan and say "hey I don't want my CBR remaped anymore instead I'm bringing you the mighty R1" :))

Also I usually take my bikes in finance as I'm not a huge fan of paying 12k upfront..I think that can do more with me then actually gone at once and then you find people selling them in a few months cause something intervened...I know I can afford the monthly and that suits me(guess everyone has their own opinion here) point being..It will run 100-150 more per month as Its more expensive and it means that I lose all the year and a half that I payed for CBR already...cause they sure gonna cheap out when I bring it back..and they gonna give me exactly what I owe for it.

Guess that what I'm trying to figure if its worth the hustle..but then again..If you keep coming back to it you probably want it bad enough I guess.

12. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

So any shorties around on an R1? how you finding it?

13. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I took some measurements when I went for the R1, its seat is only 35mm higher than the 2005 Blade

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Huh? that's massive Simon. Are you sure that's right? RR4 and 5 has 820mm seat height. Surely the R1 isn't 855? that'd be higher than the bleedin' Africa Twin!!:D

15. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

It's exactly 855 :))) which is why I get nervous :))) wish they kept it at 835 like previous model.

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow. Sometimes I am so ignorant or naive, but I don't think I could handle that. Even the 2018 Blade is 820, which for me is really comfortable, but any more would be a stretch - especially off camber. (I'm 5'9")

17. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

yes its 855mm, but I have long legs :D sometime i feel to big for the little R1

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. InsanitY

InsanitY New Member

Yeah.. I mean I know I'd be ok on general riding..but what happens when like today..I had to stop on a slope cause some idiot pulled right in front..if I'd struggle to reach I don't think I could have saved that from tipping..even like this was a stretch but I'm used to the bike and I know how to tickle her.. guess thats what sets me back..and you're 5'9 saying that ..I'm 5'7.

To be honest I think the most comfortable I felt on a sport bike was a GSX-R

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

As many would agree - two inches can make a lot of difference!;)

20. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I took this for a test ride - I couldn't live with it as my only bike, doing the things I am doing - 'kin awesome bike though !

The head had to overrule the heart on this one and say NO - just way over the top for what I am doing, and I would not have got any joy from having to potter around on it most of the time.

Regret - I could have owned that bike, but bottled it really. Just felt I could not live with it day to day for what I want, so moved on - kept the CBR, and now on my second Naked type bike.

You will just have to make your choice !

R1 60th anniversary colours.jpg

• Like Like x 1