50 or 55 profile rear Tyre??

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by PauloHRC, Feb 8, 2018.

1. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Yes, stock hugger is very close to a 55 tire, but i have not noticed any scrubbing with OEM hugger. Just build it up with washers like charlie said if there is a problem

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

It's always amazing how the same tyre can receive such opposite reports from different riders. I guess different riding styles give different results. I have the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II on the Blade. It's seen damp roads, but not soaked. I tend to wonder, with respect, whether PauloHRC was giving his a tad too much stick! Admittedly, it IS easy to do in the wet.

3. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

What I was meaning Nigel is......the picture that tuktuk posted of the Metzeler racetec rr, reminded me of the Pirelli Diablo supercorsa's I used to ride (similar tread pattern)

They're the same (Pirelli) tyres they use in superstocks but are also a road legal race tyre. (I actually picked mine up at a race weekend at Oulton park used) An amazing tyre but not designed for wet greasy roads hence why I said I shit myself everytime I got caught out in the rain. Not because I was giving it 'too much stick' haha ;)

Think I'll be going for the Metzeler M7 rr's as they seem like a good all rounder like tuktuk and Lozzy said :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Supercorsa's + torquey V twin + wet roads = disaster! :D

Attached Files:

5. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

60 profile is even more interesting:D.... but you will need to space your hugger if your running an OE Honda type. I generally only run 55 for the road but have few 60's knocking around from testing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

IMG_3314.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, right. I've got the picture. Cheers.

If I ever get up enough miles, I'm not sure whether to stick with Pirellis or change. I did read that the Metzlers rated very well in the MCN Tyre Guide (2017), but I suspect some of us are wary of such 'reviews' because of contractual bias or favours 'under the table'. I would much prefer to be influenced by riders' reports within this forum, just as you will be influenced for your track tyre choice. As in business, there is no better recommendation than 'word-of-mouth'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

IMG_3313.JPG IMG_3315.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  9. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Personally I would stick to the standard Pirelli Supercorsa SP's or the Metzelers Racetec RR's. The full on race versions SC's for the Pirellis come in with soft and hard compounds starting off with the softest SC0 and the same with the Metzelers staring off with a K prefix followed by the compound hardness....

• Like Like x 1
  10. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

What the Racetec rr's like as an every day tyre though Dave??

11. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Im still on the older gen racetecs, ie the interact k3. Nowhere near the mileage of the m7rr, no real benefits for riding on the road. I only opt for the k3 over m7 as when it comes to track use i find them more stable and much more grip when up to temp.

If I was to ride road only it would be m7rr all the way, I normally start a riding season on m7 then move to k3 when it comes to more consistant weather and track days.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

If I'm honest Paul I prefer the SP's but the Racetec RR's aren't too far from outright grip and feel. For most your probably not going to feel the difference unless your really pushing on. I would run either with no issues:D

The M7 is a good all round well balanced tyre. But just slightly lack outright grip and stability/confidence when your pushing on and carrying lots of corner speed. But as a fast road tyre they are still more than capable.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Just been to see my tyre guy AGAIN!! Told him I'm going for the Metzelers but not 100% which ones to go for.........he laughed and handed me this, should be an interesting read!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

We unleashed Michael Rutter on a closed TT course with two of the quickest road legal sports bikes, (BMW S1000RR and Suzuki GSXR1000R) on Metzeler M7 RR rubber. The results were earth shattering!!

Rutter gave them the big thumbs up and they helped him deliver a 122mph average lap of the TT course. Rutter admits he didn't know what to expect but he needn't have worried. "The tyres were simply brilliant, the way they would spin up was really progressive, it's all predictable, controllable and actually enjoyable"

"They were really stable too, and never stopped providing feedback. I was really surprised at how good they were and just how good of condition they were in after I'd finished my hot laps"

Michael's standing start best lap on M7 RR'S is just short of of the flying lap record for the Manx Grand Prix. (36 psi front and rear, No tyres warmers)

Just a few snippets from the test review I've just read.......needless to say I'll definitely be ordering some! :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Cant go wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Think you have already made your mind up Paul:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Can we expect a similar write up from yourself then in a few weeks?

We unleashed Paul from Manchester onto the Snake Pass with the third fastest Blade colour on Metzeler M7 RR rubber. The results were earth shattering!!

Paul gave them the big thumbs up and they helped him deliver a 50mph average lap on the 50mph restricted road. Paul admits he didn't know what to expect but he needn't have worried. "The tyres were simply brilliant, the way they would spin up was really progressive, it's all predictable, controllable and actually enjoyable"

"They were really stable too, and never stopped providing feedback. I was really surprised at how good they were and justhow good of condition they were in afterwards. I was amazed too that I had no helmet hair either due to the plushness of the ride! That was a deal breaker for me!

• Funny Funny x 8
  18. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Quite simply comedy genius that Lozzy :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member